Meet Bertha, my new stereo microscope

Alex S.

Hey everybody I thought I'd introduce you all to my new microscope lovingly named Bertha for the 40 pound base it is on. It is a Nikon smz-2B 

PXL_20240613_025650380.thumb.jpg.7461a5c04bfa6f797f30e5f9cccf771c.jpgPXL_20240613_025629475.thumb.jpg.943a67a7d20eb8d8f40b99d4488a48cb.jpg

I am thrilled 2 were being sold locally on Facebook and and I managed to snag one for a veritable steal. I really debated buying both but I couldn't justify it. It was used in an old high school classroom for 20 years but is in remarkable shape I just had to clean gunk off it. It has 10x eye pieces and a 0.8:5 zoom making it 8x to 50x if I'm doing my math right. It has a working distance of 77.5mm. I bought a mountable light ring that's coming in the mail tomorrow and am looking for a Barlow lens. I was thinking a 0.3x super wide field Barlow lens to buy would love to hear any opinions on the matter. Once I get the light I'll update this post.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Meet Bertha, my new stereo microscope

Thank you! I've begun searching through some of my Hell Creek micro matrix and have found some interesting stuff so far 

Thanks @jpc! Do you have any recommendations for what Barlow lens to get? I.e. 0.3x, 0.5x etc.