Collector9658

Another oddity. I collected this piece of Compton Limestone 3 or 4 months ago because it had "something" that I couldn't tell what was at the moment. To me, it appears to be some sort of calcite "shell." I considered it could be a trilo-bit, but it doesn't match well with comparable literature I have on hand. I found Ameropiltonia and Comptonaspis at this site, but this clearly is not either.

I'm at a loss, though it appears to be a fossil. I figured it's worth posting here to see if someone might recognize what it could be?

Thanks-

Jay 

20240617_171100.thumb.jpg.5a4aad0cba8193c87442f3ac7ace8896.jpg

20240617_171134.thumb.jpg.517878072264d79148d7b501a6e118b6.jpg

20240617_171314.thumb.jpg.b93972ea8a2ce2e14f3a07c71ab79a8d.jpg

20240617_171418.thumb.jpg.15c488055e5af43330322089138f4199.jpg

Edited by Collector9658
Add information

The only way to know for sure would be to prep it out. It's in the realm of possibility to be shell.

Having said that, I'm getting a toothy vibe from it, with apprehension.

• I Agree 1

Steve

I'm with @Bullsnake, best to prep it.  If I had to throw a wild guess, could it be a ventral cephalon?

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

The only way to know for sure would be to prep it out. It's in the realm of possibility to be shell.

Having said that, I'm getting a toothy vibe from it, with apprehension.

I agree, that would be a definitive way to find out. Currently, free time is small; and I have very little time to prep anything. I have a large backlog of crinoids to clean, and I prefer to get trilobites I find cleaned professionally. I am not skilled enough there.

I only say that, because trilo-bit was the only thing that came to my mind. I don't really see any reason or traits to say it could be that though, besides the odd shape already weathered out and the "shell" look. I did not consider a tooth. I suppose I'll set it aside for now, and hope to clean it in future years.

Thanks for your opinion as always,

Jay

Edited by Collector9658
Spelling, fix grammars

19 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

I'm with @Bullsnake, best to prep it.  If I had to throw a wild guess, could it be a ventral cephalon?

Trilo-bit was my first impression, but now I look back at it I feel like I venture further from that thought. I just can't recognize what it could be.

• I found this Informative 1