daves64

Been a bit since I posted anything, but now's the time. A few years ago, I bought some shale from U-Dig fossils & have played around with it here & there since then. Ended up with some odd shaped pieces and several tiny little trilobite bits, but nothing major. Earlier this morning I was poking around at one of the odd shaped pieces & noticed a partial circle shape sticking out. Viewing with a jewelers loupe I noticed a crack next to it that ran over the top so I started trying to widen it. Suddenly I heard a click & the top section popped up a bit. When I removed it, I found both the positive & negative of a full trilobite (just slightly disarticulated). Measuring 3 cm long by 1.75 cm wide. Used my dino-lite for the pics, but had to turn off the built in led's & use an led flashlight at a angle to do it properly. It's close to the same hue as the shale at this point. 1st pic is the positive & 2nd is the negative imprint. Not sure what species it is & wish the pics were clearer, but I don't want to try cleaning it for fear of ruining it. 

Positive.jpg

Negative.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Both are Elrathia kingii Common in the wheeler shale.

• I Agree 4

Cheers!

James

Posted (edited)

Both? There's only one there, just a positive & negative impression image. :ironic:

But thanks for the I.D

Edited by daves64
  • Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

6 hours ago, daves64 said:

Both? There's only one there, just a positive & negative impression image. :ironic:

But thanks for the I.D

Yes its only one with the cephalon out of place, the id is correct Elrathia kingii

IMG_1592.jpeg