Jump to content

Fossilcollector88

Recommended Posts

 

So I found someone online on Instagram selling dozens of dinosaur theropod claws from Niger that seem dissimilar to what they look like on for example of a reputed seller (last 2 pictures).

 


I cant find any claw that looks similar to what he is selling. All results on Google images look like the above link. He says it is because the claws he is selling are heavily mineralized. 

 

It is also the first time I see someone selling around 30+ claws in one go, that stuff is supposed to be very rare.. he had many more not on the above pictures.


I suspect these claws to be -at least some of them - carved out of rocks. Or atleast, modified. perhaps casts?

 

I dont know much from Niger, or if these are dinosaur or reptilian. Could someone tell me if my hunch of it being fake is wrong or right?

 

ruler is in centimeters not in inches

 

 

IMG_6712.jpeg

IMG_6711.jpeg

IMG_6710.jpeg

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6704.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6716.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Putting a commercial link with a price on the forum is not accepted !

 

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Coco said:

Putting a commercial link with a price on the forum is not accepted !

 

Coco

Fine, I will remove it. Even though it is supoosed to be an example, I will just make a picture of it. Added it as last pic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a funny mix of real ones in bad condition and Carvosaurus humanarticus, known from a lot of places on the world where people like to earn money with :fear:...

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rocket said:

Looks like a funny mix of real ones in bad condition and Carvosaurus humanarticus, known from a lot of places on the world where people like to earn money with :fear:...

Thanks, Carvosaurus humanarticus is a genius take on it haha.

 

the claw K was particularly interested in is in the 5th and 7th photo, shown also below. Would that be craftwork aswell? Having a mix of fake and real ones for a store is alrdy a bad sign, but would like to know.

IMG_6704.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 and 7 looks real for me, and the last one. Nice ones for a less budget

 

 

image.jpeg.873ea60d96898d6f6f0ff891ab1481c0.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rocket said:

5 and 7 looks real for me, and the last one. Nice ones for a less budget

 

 

image.jpeg.873ea60d96898d6f6f0ff891ab1481c0.jpeg

Yeah that last one is from a different seller, as a comparison to how real Niger claws would look like.

 

as for the real ones, which kind of animal did it belong to? Crocodile? Dinosaur (theropod?)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rocket said:

Theropod for sure

Could they be a cast? Considering that many he sells are fake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Fossilcollector88 said:

Could they be a cast? Considering that many he sells are fake.

 

not easy to decide. I would assume they are real, looks like on the pics

But, you are right..., many fakes on the market. Best is - to be sure - when you only buy at certified shops or collectors you really know in person or over a long time. Many claws, teeth and other vertebrate fossils on auction platforms (the "cheaper ones") are not proofed. People sell sometimes fake ones and know that they are faked. And, it is hard to get the money back. Yes, it is a bit more expensive when you but from certified sellers, they need to earn money with it. But it is the same than buying a machine or car or whatever else, a good shops gives you a guarantee on the item.

Ask the seller if he guarantees the authenticity and gives the money back if the claws are fakes. You will see the reaction, if the seller says yes I would assume it normally works, if they do not like to give a guarantee avoid shopping there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rocket said:

 

not easy to decide. I would assume they are real, looks like on the pics

But, you are right..., many fakes on the market. Best is - to be sure - when you only buy at certified shops or collectors you really know in person or over a long time. Many claws, teeth and other vertebrate fossils on auction platforms (the "cheaper ones") are not proofed. People sell sometimes fake ones and know that they are faked. And, it is hard to get the money back. Yes, it is a bit more expensive when you but from certified sellers, they need to earn money with it. But it is the same than buying a machine or car or whatever else, a good shops gives you a guarantee on the item.

Ask the seller if he guarantees the authenticity and gives the money back if the claws are fakes. You will see the reaction, if the seller says yes I would assume it normally works, if they do not like to give a guarantee avoid shopping there...

My idea is that when 8 out of 10 of this specific seller are fake then the probability that the real ones are actually genuine is slim. More likely is also fake but in a way that is hard to spot such as casts.

 

Maybe that's a negative approach and I would be missing out on a great fossil. But considering what he charges for each, I better be on the safe side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Along with not allowing links to retailers, we also do not allow prices  or sales verbiage to be posted here. We focus on the fossils themselves, NOT the seller or the prices.  ;)

Thanks for your understanding, and cooperation.

 

I think steering clear is the best option here.

  • I Agree 1

    Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

   VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Along with not allowing links to retailers, we also do not allow prices  or sales verbiage to be posted here. We focus on the fossils themselves, NOT the seller or the prices.  ;)

Thanks for your understanding, and cooperation.

 

I think steering clear is the best option here.


sorry, I didnt break those rules on purpose. Will consider that better next time.

 

Steering clear is better at regards to the claws? You mean better to find other claws elsewhere as these are sketchy?

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely no idea where you are seeing carved claws @rocket?

 

These claws are found so much. Knowing multiple suppliers for Niger stuff is that they buy these at the hundreds. And in my opinion are worthless or not worth what they are being asked for. A lot of times they are real claws, not to worry about that. A lot of them are also covered in hematite and matrix. 

 

And then there is the possibility its not a dinosaur claw but a crocodylomorph. Or anything else from the area.

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. If ever in doubt for any reason really, just steer clear.  These claws are not uncommon.

  • I found this Informative 1

*Frank*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like some sellers will tell you. Niger claws are not rare. So i'd advise you to save up instead of spending on these poor quality claws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, JorisVV said:

Like some sellers will tell you. Niger claws are not rare. So I'd advise you to save up,  instead of spending on these poor quality claws. 

Thanks, sounds like good advice.  Do you know if I could find something better at a budget.

Good claws get expensive very quickly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Fossilcollector88 said:

Thanks, sounds like good advice.  Do you know if I could find something better at a budget?

 

With a low budget rather just buy a nice tooth which are plenty of. Claws are just generally more expensive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please keep discussion of prices relegated to the Private Messaging System.

 

Last warning. TOPIC LOCKED.

    Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

   VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Fossildude19 locked this topic

Discussion of Sellers, posting links to retail websites, discussions of prices, and copying advertisement verbiage from sellers is STRICTLY forbidden.

Any pictures of fossils MUST be free of watermarks or identification of sellers as well.

 

We do not allow monetary valuations, or suggestions for retailers on the open boards.

 

You are more than welcome to discuss these things via PM with other members.
These things cannot be broached on the Open Boards. 

 

PLEASE USE THE PM SYSTEM.

    Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

   VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...