A Piece Of Snakewood And A Couple Cores From Cs

silverphoenix

Well we had a "snow day" yesterday and what do ya know, it actually snowed! Weird right? You would think it was Alaska here or something--on Wednesday, it was in the 70's and HELLO, now it's 20 degrees!!! Or rather it was yesterday---today it's in the 60's. That's Texas for you, one day you're freezing your rear off and the next, you're sweating it off.

Anyways, though I've been down with a cold lately, I decided that I was overdue for a trip to my favorite petrified wood site. The creek had a very thick sheet of ice over it--an inch or two I guess--that really made sloshing through the creek a chore. Though in some places, it was frozen so well that you could practically walk on it!

Most everything had been cleared out recently by MikeD, Oh-Man and myself, but I decided to check the creek bank thoroughly to see if anything had recently eroded out.

To my amazement, I did find a couple cores sticking out of the bank and even a piece of snakewood at "snakewood bend" as I would now like to call it.

This piece of snakewood is pretty beat up, but still has very nice structural preservation and after all, it is a rare petrified wood species. It is 2 1/2"Lx3/4"Hx1"W

DSCI0636.jpg

DSCI0637.jpg

DSCI0638.jpg

DSCI0639.jpg

Here's a 11"Lx3"Wx2"H Core that tapers to one end:

DSCI0644.jpg

DSCI0645.jpg

Here's the small 2"Lx2"Wx1 1/2"H core:

DSCI0642.jpg

DSCI0641.jpg

DSCI0643.jpg

It was worth it overall, but you certainly won't catch me out in the cold again. I couldn't feel my hands or toes by the time I was out of there! :D

Great finds! :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Cool finds Chase! I cut and polished the ends of two of the pieces I found last trip, but my camera is out of battery power so pix will have to follow.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"