Greetings From Virginia!

firefish68

Hey gang! I should start by saying I have no training nor any proper "schoolin'" on fossils or anything related to them, but not long ago my family and I went out walking along a creek down the road a ways and we happened to find a few small fossils, or what we assume are fossils and we are all hooked now! I am really looking forward to talking with all of you and soaking up as much knowledge and wisdom as you are willing to dish out. I will try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum, but I make no promises, so please be patient. As for the fossils we found, I'll try to post a picture here and in the ID topic as well. I would love to be able to tell the kids what it is we found! Happy hunting everyone!post-9211-0-61352200-1344550087_thumb.jpg

Hello welcome from Scotland! I think it might be coral you found but Im new to all this aswell so maybe you should wait for a few more opinions :P

Hello from southwestern VA (Marion) as well as Greenville, NC when I'm in school.

Where did you find those fossils? I can probably help with formation and age with some familiarity of the area.

I went to school near there at Radford University so we had to learn some about the geology of the area.

Welcome, there are lots of helpful people on here.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I am really glad I found this site. And I replied to your post on the ID topic Jyonts. Can you recommend any other places to go?

Welcome aboard :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Speaking of looking it up, are there any books out there that any of you would recommend? And not just identifying, but also just about fossils in general? Remember, I'm kinda starting from scratch here. But the good side of that is that i definitely want to learn.

And i hope the great state of Texas is treating you well discsnstones, and Ailsa i hope things go well for you in Scotland, be the lands high or low!

I like each of these for their different perspectives; all are suitable for beginners and up.

DK Eyewitness Books: Fossil (Paul D. Taylor)

Smithsonian Handbooks: Fossils (David Ward)

North America Through Time: A Paleontological History of our Continent ((Lynne M. Clos)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Outstanding! Thats exactly what i am looking for. Once again I thank you sir! Oh, and any tips for areas around your neck of the woods? My wife has family there in Alexandria and Stafford.

I like each of these for their different perspectives; all are suitable for beginners and up.

DK Eyewitness Books: Fossil (Paul D. Taylor)

Smithsonian Handbooks: Fossils (David Ward)

North America Through Time: A Paleontological History of our Continent ((Lynne M. Clos)

My dad ordered that one for me starting out :) and thank you firefish can't wait to see more your finds!

...Oh, and any tips for areas around your neck of the woods? My wife has family there in Alexandria and Stafford.

No fossils in Alexandria, but if you can get access (permission from the land owners) along the river in Stafford, comb the beach! Forty years ago, before it was so built up, I had permission to do that at several access points, and it was often very good hunting (Paleocene and Eocene shark's teeth & etc.). Much older stuff than Westmoreland (which is Miocene). I've no idea how it is now...

Welcome firefish- I grew up in Aquia, and Auspex is correct that access is the problem. Small craft will get you to some of the sites if you can avail yourself. Good luck. Chris

Welcome from Connecticut. :)

For books...

The Fossil Book is a good one.

Also for your area Roadside Geology.

Audobon Society Field Guide and This one, too.

I have most of these in my library.

Lots of PDF's available online too, check google books.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Greetings from Missouri.

The books others have listed are great.

If you want to kepe track of your finds I recomend the program Trilobase, it is very useful. A lot of information can be stored in it.

http://www.trilobase.com/

Robert
Southeast, MO

• 2 weeks later...

Crinoids can be found all over the place but it's always nice to find a sweet conglomerate like that.

Welcome from Pennsylvania.