Resting And Trace Fossils

Rockin' Ric

It's been several months since I visited the fossil shale shard pile (try saying that fast 10 times). Spent a few minutes on a gorgeous, mild day scanning the ground and found these specimens. These come from the Pottsville Formation that runs through Alabama.

post-5318-0-65244200-1344873276_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this specimen is some sort of track or irregularity in the rock. Looks like some type of worm wriggled in the mud and created something. Any ideas?

post-5318-0-78698700-1344873289_thumb.jpg

Near the numbers 12 and 13 on the ruler is a one xiphosuran resting trace. I usually find these as singles and multiples?

post-5318-0-53124800-1344873305_thumb.jpg

Down near the numbers 16 and 17 on the ruler... although small, appears to be like some type of millipede tracks, any ideas?

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

This is great stuff, Ric! I love your ichnofossils :wub:

post-423-0-01900100-1344876371_thumb.jpg

What I marked as "Area 1" looks to me (comparing to modern occurrences) like a leaf or something was laying on the sticky mud, and blew off.

"Area 2" is, in my mind, an invertebrate trackway.

I'll weigh in with other impressions (no pun intended) as time permits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great finds! Does anyone know what could have made those trilobite looking trace fossils? Im no expert but they look strikingly similar to cruziana!

Is it known if the sandstone is marine or nonmarine?

The xiphosuran resting trace is really cool.

Context is critical.

Is it known if the sandstone is marine or nonmarine?...

This is coal swamp stuff, I believe, so non-marine.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chaz I have a tendency to lean in your direction when you state these specimens are coal swamp related. But I have found, not in this particular spot...marine specimens several miles from this area? Here is a link to past discussion on the xiphosuran resting trace. The pictures that was included on the link that Scott attached tend to indicate that the resting traces are marine? http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/20149-carboniferous-fossils/page__st__100

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils