Black Water Dive Videos

Meghunter.net

I was able to film some of the dives on my rescent trip to the low country and surrounding areas fossil hunting. I am working on getting them all edited so you don't have to watch the hours of swimming around finding nothing (lol). This one shows finding an arrowhead while looking for meg teeth, a real surprise.

There is also a meg tooth find video on my youtube channel and I have more coming.

Thanks, Al

www.meghunter.net Apparel Fossils Equipment

Don't care for that black water ..... I don't see all that well so I need clear water to enjoy what time I do get in the water. Cool find though! B) B) B):)

post-23-0-36555500-1345396606_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Nice Find , Al Thanks for sharing. That arrow point looks pretty large.

A question , at what length does a bird point move to an arrow point to a spear point ?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

SS bird points are usually on arrows or could be darts in some cultures. Also bird points is a typical way to describe them even though lots were used for other small game (rabbits and squirrels and others) These points are under an inch in length. Spear points or atlatls are probally an inch to probably 5 inches give or take. In some earlier cultures there may be larger spear points before the atlatl came about. Anything larger would be hand knife blades or other tools.. This is my opinion only.. :) Jeff

Al that is a cool point a surprise find I am sure... Will wait to see those megs I am sure you found..:) Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I have seen some bird points, usually an inch or less, then some points in the range of 1.5 t0 2 inches, and hide scrapers somewhat less than 3 inches. As I look at points around 3 inches, I start to wonder if they are too heavy to serve as arrow points. The arrowhead that Al found looks to be around 2.75.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Jeff,

I have seen some bird points, usually an inch or less, then some points in the range of 1.5 t0 2 inches, and hide scrapers somewhat less than 3 inches. As I look at points around 3 inches, I start to wonder if they are too heavy to serve as arrow points. The arrowhead that Al found looks to be around 2.75.

Yeah thats the tell-all if it appears to heavy or even to large to fit the tip of an arrow are give aways. Its good if you collect points to have a piece of dowel rod about less than a foot would do to give some idea if a point would even fit... If not then it was probably a spear or other tool of some sort...

Native Americans were excellent archers and I forget exact timeline but bows were not used at the begining of weapon/point production. But the points for deer and buffalo and other large critters did not have to be large fo use on arrows but they were larger than bird points were. Your measurements are pretty near spot on. the thinner longer points could have been arrow ones. Also used was blunt or stunner points for small game as to not damage the meat as much. They had rounded ends.

They were a very creative lot, the Native Americans, able to create so much from rock and bone. I wish there were more places to hunt these treasures here in NC...Jeff

Nice Find , Al Thanks for sharing. That arrow point looks pretty large.

A question , at what length does a bird point move to an arrow point to a spear point ?

A birdie is a term used more commonly among collectors rather than archaeologists. Projectile points are dart points and arrow points. Dart points are your larger points, such as spears and were used for darts or spears. Arrow points were smaller and used on various kinds of arrows. Of course, you have other identifications such as knifes, scrapers, drills, etc. We always used the term birdie for points smaller than 2". Of course I have a few as small as my pinkie. We called arrow points just points for the most part, and they ranged in size depending on who made them. Spears...while I'm not sure of the definite size, I have them up to 10 1/2" (the largest being a ceremonial piece.)

Archaeologists would probably be a little more accurate than our personal opinions about sizes though.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!