Hi From Oklahoma

XanderCrews

• New Members

Hey everyone, new member from Oklahoma here. I don't have any fossils to ID just yet, but I've been an enthusiast for quite awhile and I'm looking to learn more.

I have very limited formal training in paleontology and geology but I did take a dinosaur class from Dr. Mark Loewen while I was an undergraduate at the University of Utah. Utah is an amazing place to take a class like that. I also got the chance to volunteer in the paleo lab at the Natural History Museum of Utah a number of times. My favorite project there was to slowly remove a set of Allosaurus vertebrae from the matrix, (that's also about the most important job they will let a non-geology major undergrad work on).

I suppose I can bring this up in later topics (or just search through past topics) but I'm looking for recommendations on good books to read regarding fossils and fossil hunting as well as tips on beginning fossil hunting, especially in and around Oklahoma.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the Forum :)

You've had some really good exposure to a side of paleo-geo that a self-taught field collector might aspire to after he amasses a collection of fossils, and begins to want to know more about them. In other words, good start!

Book wise, how broad a net do you want to cast? A foundation in the geologic eras and periods? An exhaustive treatise on the fossils in your immediate area?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Book wise, how broad a net do you want to cast? A foundation in the geologic eras and periods? An exhaustive treatise on the fossils in your immediate area?

Thanks for the response.

I'm looking for books with real substance yet aren't too technical for someone who is not a geologist. Amazon has some books that might be what I'm looking for: Preshistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth by DK Publishing and The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs by Gregory S. Paul. Do you have any experience with either of those books?

I could also benefit from books on general geology and geologic eras. I enjoy reading so just throw them out there.

As for general fossil hunting and knowledge about my area, I expect I can pick up good information on that by reading this forum regularly.

Welcome from Texas.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Welcome from Washington!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

For a "take a step back" wide-angle view, "North America Through Time" provides a foundation for understanding the context of our geology, fossils, and deep time. LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!