New To Fossil Hunting And Looking For Someone To Show Me The Ropes Some Weekend Anywhere In Kansas

JeepDigger

Hey all, I am pretty new to fossil hunting, the extent of my experience is stopping along the highways until a state trooper runs me off. I finally have some time and a little funds to play in the dirt and I would like to get into this but I'm not sure where to start. I've never really dug through media for fossils. I've found some cool shells and bones in the highway cuts but that is all. I live in the Wichita area but frequently run up to KC for work and dream of going out to the chalk! Since I dont really have any experience with this kind of stuff I am hoping someone on here wouldn't mind me and maybe my wife tagging along some weekend. Anyone interested in some voluteers or any pointers would be appriciated!

theres a bunch of kansas chalk hunters on here, you'll find a partner for sure

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I hope so, after seeing some of the pictures members post from there I just want to go that much more! I am actually in KC right now but I'm busy till 4 or 5 at night this week. I did see someone recommended a place just off of 435 that I might have to check out but I didnt bring any gear with me... of course..

Welcome to TFF sorry I don't know anything about Kansas :) but I'm sure there are tons of people on here that can help ya !

-CQ

Welcome aboard :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome from Washington! You're at the right place, many folks here familiar with Kansas.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Send me a PM next time you are in the Salina area. I can tell you a few spots to get you going.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Send me a PM next time you are in the Salina area. I can tell you a few spots to get you going.

Ramo

I was hoping you wouldn't mind, Ramo. I'm going to recommend getting in touch with you! :thumbsu:

Steve