Hello From Bethany, Illinois

harpo568

Richard Here.

Just joined the site.

I am new to collecting fossils and earlier this summer was my first venture out specifically to collect fosils.

made a few nice finds at Kickapoo...plan on going back soon.

My Fiancee and I are looking forward to some serious fossil hunting in the near future...not sure where to do and local hunting though...Kickapoo seems to be the closest.

Fossil collecting newbie...

(I may be from Illinois but I didn't vote for Obama!)

Welcome to the Forum from Connecticut. :)

Look into joining a local mineral/fossil club, to take advantage of local knowledge and experience.

Best of luck to you both.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum, and to the fascination :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome from Washington!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

thanks everyone!

Russ, do you know of any local sites worth checking out? I can't seem to find much on this area.

thanks everyone!

Russ, do you know of any local sites worth checking out? I can't seem to find much on this area.

East central Illinois is not rich in fossil sites. Gravel pits are about the best and that is a snarge shoot of course but interesting things can be found. The best areas are around Kickapoo and the old strip mines where some Penn rocks are exposed in streams and old final cut areas. The stream at the west edge of Kickapoo along the west gate road (and first parking lot left if heading east) has exposures of shale with concretions that have ferns and such and it is capped by deposit that is mixed marine and land. I found calamites stems with the hollow pith filled with crinoid stems for example. The limestone quarries at Fithian are good but getting in is hard even for me when I worked at the Geological Survey for 34 years they are real touchy about safety. If you go into Indiana near Crawfordsville, Shades State Park, Turkey Run there are exposures of Mississippian, but the trick is getting permission. There are abandoned and active Quarries just east of Charleston along River with Pennsylvanian marine fossils and sometimes you can find areas along the roads that run along/through you have to watch areas that may be marked for no treaspassing and such but some areas along the quarries in past were easy to stop and collect as some public roads along river go through the quarries.

Otherwise you have to go to areas along Illinois River near Peoria and south where Pennsylvanian, and Mississippian rocks may be found and so on but that is close areas I know about.

russ

Thanks Russ and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.