Hello From Merritt British Columbia

Mr_ed

I just heard about this site from a member of our fossil club. I collect fossils but am weak on the identification side of the hobby. I will be learning a lot from this forum I am thinking. i have lots of fossils and they are all photographed. Only a few are itentified. I can use all the help I can get in that regard. I have already learned some about fossils from this forum and I have only been a member for hours.

Looking forward to taking the time to browse the whole site.

Welcome from an expatriate Canadian! I'm sure we can help you further with the bundled expertise present here. Which geological periods do you collect?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome from the Island, I'm also curious what sites/ages you collect. The closest places to you that I know of are the now-closed McAbee site and similar ones elsewhere in the S. Int.

You might find that the knowledge for IDing fossils from any given site is handled by one Forum member, sometimes none, but hopefully you'll have more luck than that - Probably will if you're dealing with the McAbee/etc. There is a lot of collective knowledge on here! (and even that one member can make all the difference).

Edited by Wrangellian

Welcome from Washington!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Welcome from Connecticut, USA. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ludwigia asked what period I collect in... well we have a huge deposit of carboniferous ferns, Permo-Triassic seed plant leaves, Williamsonia and Calamites whorls, another site has what I believe are Jurassic Ammonites still another has bi-valves and one near McAbee appears to be Devonian. There are several sites around that are Cretaceous or later and some nice fossils that are out of place and appear to be Cretaceous. There are about twenty sites that I collect from and they range from about 250 million years to 20 million (give or take a year or two). Are there lots of nice fossils in Germany?

Ludwigia asked what period I collect in... well we have a huge deposit of carboniferous ferns, Permo-Triassic seed plant leaves, Williamsonia and Calamites whorls, another site has what I believe are Jurassic Ammonites still another has bi-valves and one near McAbee appears to be Devonian. There are several sites around that are Cretaceous or later and some nice fossils that are out of place and appear to be Cretaceous. There are about twenty sites that I collect from and they range from about 250 million years to 20 million (give or take a year or two). Are there lots of nice fossils in Germany?

That's a good variety! I look forward to some postings of your finds. You can check out my gallery to get an idea about what can be found in my part of the woods. It's unfortunately not quite up to date since due to unsolved technical problems over the last months I have not been able to post anything new. Here's the link:

http://www.thefossil.../2384-ludwigia/

PS. I just got my gallery working again, so I'll be posting more in the near future. :D

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome aboard!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is an admirable colection of Ammonites and such. I have always had a soft spot for Ammonites but have only found a few and none that are showy. I have purchased a couple small ones.. the bigger ones are too expensive but I might splurge one day.

That IS quite the variety, I know a certain amount about BC fossils - been to McAbee - but never heard of most of these! Have always wondered what kinds of fossils, if any, could be found around Merritt each time I've driven thru there.

Cant wait to see some pics of what you find, if you start posting them - esp. the Dev thru Triassic stuff!

Hi Ed, can't wait to see your collection. Welcome to the Forum from Indiana!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett