Forum Goes To The Eurypterid Quarry

Malcolmt

Well, I must say that I think a great but very tiring day was had by all at the Eurypterid quarry. Had been looking forward to meeting up with this group for some time. We had quite a turnout from the forum. Ludwigia from Germany, Shamalama from Philadelphia, Fossilcrazy from New York, Pleecan, QuarrymanDave and myself from the forum and two friends from Rochester who are not on the forum.

Just thought I would upload this post as a bit of a placeholder for the rest of the group to make commentary on the day.

A bit of a motley looking crew.......

post-4886-0-46772700-1351301537_thumb.jpg

Ludwigia, FossiCrazy, Malcolmt, QuarrymanDave, Tod, Shamalama

Pleecan took the picture so he is no where to be seen. As was our other non forum friend Sam (he likes to wander off)

Most of us were there by 8:00 and stayed the duration. Great weather, no rain started out quite warm but got very cold and a bit windy later in the afternoon

We got the big equipment out to start the day off right....... No sense holding back the big guns..........

post-4886-0-95837200-1351301527_thumb.jpg

Thats Roger taking a picture.... not sure why my camera took black and white but it looks cool anyway.........

Point of interest they actually did a blast at the other end of the quarry quite a distance away from us. Made the ground tremble.... I had never been in a quarry before when they did an actual blast.

Unfortunately, not a lot of eurypterids were found I found a mangled almost complete that was very twisted in 3 dimensions and one of our friends from New York found a nice large 11 inch eurypterid which unfortunately came out of the quarry floor in far too many pieces. The find of the day was a complete phylocarid (extremenly rare in this formation usually we only find tails)

post-4886-0-46586000-1351301549_thumb.jpg

Also found were about a half dozen small plants, Cooksonia and algal blobs, a bit of an out of place brachiopod, a potentially interesting ostracod, assorted disarticulated eurypterid heads and telsons, a cephalopod in not very good shape, a disarticulated pylocarid tail.

Ludwigia busted rock pretty much solid for 8 hours but was only finding bits and pieces. We made sure he went back to Germany with one though.... can't come all that way and not take a eurypterid home........

Shamalama kept finding interesting things .......though nothing complete.

Pleecan spent a lot of time socializing........ which is what he likes to do.

QuarrymanDave found a few things that he took home including a very small partial eurypterid...

FossilCrazy cleared away a very nice looking pit.... wins prettiest pit of the day..... but did not find the big one he was looking for.....

Regardless of what was found new friendships were made and old friendships renewed........ just a great group to collect with..................

Hopefully some of the others from the group will comment on the day and post pictures that they took.

Edited by Malcolmt

Too bad I wasn't able to join you, but duty called at work. At least the weather cooperated with you. Who found the phyllocarid?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Sounds like a great trip!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I'm jealous! I would love to meet fossil friends! Glad you guys had a great time!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Sounds like a very fun time!

Eurypterids.. I'll have to check the northern part of the province I live in (Campbelton, Atholville) next Summer. Some of the biggest sea scorpions found in the world came from that shore. I'll have to find out!

Got no fossils today, but what a nice day to be blank. Not exactly an exercise in futility, just in place of the gym.

Here are pics before opening the floor and after uncovering nothing.

post-296-0-29776700-1351311670_thumb.jpg post-296-0-40938900-1351311698_thumb.jpg

Only a fossil nut would think it's still fun to break rock and find nothing... I'd be there too if I were close enough, that's my kind of rock! I'd be happy to find even a partial phyllocarid - not many of those generally available!

Too bad I wasn't able to join you, but duty called at work. At least the weather cooperated with you. Who found the phyllocarid?

Great report Malcolm.

It was a great day at the Quarry... the Fiddlers Green formation was just blasted but the area was off limits to collecting....

Tod Found the phyllocarid... a beautiful specimen... I used Malcolm's camera to take the image... forgot my camera that day ....

Here is an enhanced photo post processing

post-2446-0-70126600-1351330699_thumb.jpg

love the way you can park your 4w drive on top of the fossils :) :)

Reminds me a little of ice fishing...

What a gloriously motley crew!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome report! I enjoy reading about everyone's hunts and adventures, especially when it involves TFF members getting together and having fun! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Thank you malcom and the other enthusiasts for sharing your fossilhunt.

i know Roger partly, he is a very industrious guy and he deserves it to get an eurypterid.

Karl

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

Sounds like a very fun time!

Eurypterids.. I'll have to check the northern part of the province I live in (Campbelton, Atholville) next Summer. Some of the biggest sea scorpions found in the world came from that shore. I'll have to find out!

Good luck on the hunt! Looking forward to see fossils from the east coast of Canada!

Great pic we should all be in the chipindale show! :rofl:

Edited by Quarryman Dave

Quarrycomber

Hey guys, I had a great time and did much more splitting this time than when I was there in July. I found one algal plant clump, that I gave to Roger, lots of disarticulated Eurypteribits and a what looks like an Ostracod.

Pic of everyone hard at work:

post-1408-0-60586200-1351630117_thumb.jpg

Malcolm brought along many samples for us to drool over:

post-1408-0-05763500-1351630120_thumb.jpg

Roger (Ludwigia) hard at work:

post-1408-0-85711200-1351630124_thumb.jpg

The Phyllocarid find of the day:

post-1408-0-35137900-1351630127_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-98390300-1351630129_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-79101800-1351630132_thumb.jpg

Quarrymandave's little Rhyconellid brach (a rare find!):

post-1408-0-86725700-1351630197_thumb.jpg

My finds in the next post....

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

My finds:

A collection of Eurypterobits that could be the result of a swirling current otherwise known as a Gyre.

post-1408-0-28058000-1351630418_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-36860500-1351630421_thumb.jpg

My Ostracod (I'm pretty sure that is what it is and not a Lingula brach as was initially thought in the quarry). Leperdita sp.?

post-1408-0-58583700-1351630447_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-99612800-1351630448_thumb.jpg

The biggest Eurypterid find of the day by Todd

post-1408-0-54154700-1351630434_thumb.jpg

And the end of the day excavations of Roger and Malcolm. Roger was working in the foreground and probably moved about twice as much rock as I did!

post-1408-0-66305700-1351630480_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great pictures Dave, I am wondering if the ostracod would show up better if taken under water.

Nice report.... Looks like you all had a great time....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roger sent me this pic of the group: I am holding Malcolms camera.

post-2446-0-16583600-1351688718_thumb.jpg

Happy bunch of fossil collections on a fine fall day.

PL