British Two Pence Error Coin ?

stoll

HI ALL , GOT THIS COIN FROM THE BANK THE OTHER DAY IN CHANGE OF 2 PENCES

TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE ON THE WEB BUT HAVENT FOUND TOO MUCH INFO.

I READ THE COPPER DOESNT TAKE TO COINS IF THERES DIRT OR SOMETHING ON THE COIN AND STARTS TO PEEL OFF.

THIS IS WHAT THIS COIN LOOKS LIKE. IT HAS BUBBLES/BLISTERS AND THE COIN ON THE OTHER SIDE THE COPPER HAS PEELED AWAY ALLREADY WITH SOME OFF IT STILL HANGING UP .

CAN ANY1 TELL ME IF THIS IS AN ERROR COIN OR HAS IT JUST BEEN THROUGH HARD LIFE HA.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO & VERY APPRECIATED

post-9917-0-58007100-1353882220_thumb.jpg

post-9917-0-36800900-1353882236_thumb.jpg

post-9917-0-92610600-1353882248_thumb.jpg

Our 2p coins were bronze when first issued, but since 1992 they have been made from copper-plated steel because of the rising price of copper. They have a mild steel core, electro-plated with a thin copper layer and that one is delaminating. Quality control at the Royal Mint isn’t great these days and defects like that (and worse) are not uncommon.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

yah i have read about the change from cooper to copper plated steel and for a few months in 1998 they reversed it back to copper. i have a money bag full of those 1998 cooper coins.