Shell Id?

itwasntme

Found these specimens today, have been super excited because other than today I have only found pennsylvanian period plants. Any help appreciated.

post-10188-0-27230700-1354647759_thumb.jpg

post-10188-0-61812400-1354647856_thumb.jpg

post-10188-0-97208400-1354647871_thumb.jpg

Edited by itwasntme

Pic 1 - Orbiculoidea, an inarticulate brachiopod.

Pic 2 - Not sure. Could you take a closer pic?

Context is critical.

# 2 looks like it might be a Trepospira gastropod.

Neat finds!

Congratulations on finding something other than plants. (Not that plant fossils aren't cool!)

Always nice to find new things.

Regards,

Potentially helpful link for you. LINK. :)

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you. All I had was my camera phone, couldnt get much better pics, will bring my regular camera tomorrow, (it has a macro setting) so I can take a better picture, was just excited and had to try. :)

Thank you. All I had was my camera phone, couldnt get much better pics, will bring my regular camera tomorrow, (it has a macro setting) so I can take a better picture, was just excited and had to try. :)

The small snail (photo on the right) with the suggested ID of Trepospira ...

Please image both sides.

:)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

added new photos and removed old ones. messed up the order when uploading, tried to switch around but didn't want to cooperate. :) Hopefully these are better to help with an id, still trying to figure my camera out. forgot the coin in second set of pics. :blush: its just a little smaller than a us dime.

Edited by itwasntme

Hi,

its just a little smaller than a us dime.

Please : foreigners don't know the size of a US dime ! Just write the real size of your fossil, and it would be good !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Nice specimens! What area of KY did you find them. The one looks like "Orbiculoides" but the other 2 pix look like ammonites to me. Maybe "Brachycycloceras" They are found in the Penn. marine , especially in Hazard area.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hi,

Please : foreigners don't know the size of a US dime ! Just write the real size of your fossil, and it would be good !

Coco

Apologies Coco. What unit of measure would you recommend using, some places are more familiar with different units of measure.

Herb, these were found in Sitka ky, just outside of paintsville. Never expected to find these specimens here (but I guess nobody expects to find a dino bone, trilo, etc) always a first I guess. That's part of what makes it so fun, the unexpected. :)

Hi,

Coco

A dime is 17.91mm, or 1.791cm. ;) (Cortesy of Sharkbyte's thread)

Apologies Coco. What unit of measure would you recommend using, some places are more familiar with different units of measure.

I think standard or metric measurement is acceptable. There's been alot of discussion on the forum about scale :)

Nice finds! I just recently found my first orbiculoidea.

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

You can use " or cm. I suppose all foreigner who read an american forum knows that 1" = 2,54 cm (1 cm = near from 2/5). ;)

Thanks Bullsnake.

I would add that read all news on a forum with an automatical translator uses a lot of time, and when I read "its just a little smaller than a us dime", I don't spend time to search how much it is in " or in cm. And I think all foreigners are in the same case.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Size of pic number 2 with id of orbiculoidea is about 1.3 cm (best i can tell). the 1st and 3rd pics are about the same 1.3 cm, Kind of on the small side, but glad to find something a little different than the normal from my fossiliferous spot which normally I only find annularia, calamites, stigmaira. Thanks everyone for all the input and compliments, I have found several specimens similiar to these, I think i found a small segment of orthoceras (colletti maybe?) and have dared my honey to even look at my area, much less think about doing dozer work around it until im done searching even though hes desperately wanting to. hehe.

Edited by itwasntme

Size of pic number 2 with id of orbiculoidea is about 1.3 cm (best i can tell). the 1st and 3rd pics are about the same 1.3 cm, Kind of on the small side, but glad to find something a little different than the normal from my fossiliferous spot which normally I only find annularia, calamites, stigmaira. Thanks everyone for all the input and compliments, I have found several specimens similiar to these, I think i found a small segment of orthoceras (colletti maybe?) and have dared my honey to even look at my area, much less think about doing dozer work around it until im done searching even though hes desperately wanting to. hehe.

You might like to look at my gallery entitled "Penn. Marine of KY" showing the most common types of fossils found in the Magoffin member of the Breathett Formation in the Hazard area.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks