Silurian Brassfield Coral Hunt In Dayton Ohio

squalicorax

Hey all, hunted Silurian aged fossils in the brassfield formation of Oakes Quarry Park.

You get to collect from a small spoil pile. It has limited material but I dug and flipped rocks and came out with some nice pieces. I collected some other fauna from this lower silurian aged deposit like crinoid basal plates, brachiopods, a calymene pygidium, bumastus glabella and various other anthozoans.

Favosite bottom

KFTQzl.jpg

Larger Favosite

B2yiXl.jpg

Heliolities

gryUPl.jpg

Halysities

4MZuil.jpg

Edited by squalicorax

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Cool corals, Nathan.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great finds!!! thanks for sharing. I do not encounter fossils of that type so its great to be able to see what others have collected! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Those Halysities rock out loud :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My earliest collecting (age:8-12) was in the Brassfield not far from there. That quarry has rewarded me every time. One of the less known fossil parks in that region. Just a shame we can't get at the fresh layers where amazing crinoids have been collected. Your Heliolites is very nice. That genus has eluded me to date. And what do you think the borings in the Favosites are?

I don't know how often you get out that way, but if you want a few more Brassfield sites send me a PM.

My earliest collecting (age:8-12) was in the Brassfield not far from there. That quarry has rewarded me every time. One of the less known fossil parks in that region. Just a shame we can't get at the fresh layers where amazing crinoids have been collected. Your Heliolites is very nice. That genus has eluded me to date. And what do you think the borings in the Favosites are?

I don't know how often you get out that way, but if you want a few more Brassfield sites send me a PM.

Dang i should have sent you a pm last week before I left. We hit the wright brothers memorial railway cut and were a bit dissapointed. I guess im spoiled by the cincinattian.

I think the borings are rugose corals that grew on the favosite.

But yeah it would be nice to be able to collect all over the quarry, although i did pick up a few brachiopods along the "fossil trail".

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Very cool fossils Nathan. I've only ever collected from the Brassfield at some small expsoures and much of what they had there were small corals and shells in massive crinoidal layers.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very cool fossils Nathan. I've only ever collected from the Brassfield at some small expsoures and much of what they had there were small corals and shells in massive crinoidal layers.

The Brassfield can be very fossil-rich or almost barren. Collecting seems to be best along the east and north edges of the Cincinnati Arch.