Skull Found In Marble

Marble Girl

Hello! I am very excited to have stumbled upon this forum. Can someone assist me in identifying this fossil? I work at a marble and granite fabrication shop in Philadelphia, Pa. When I put the slab of marble on the saw, I noticed this unique part and cut it off to display in my show case. (Please see image below) I can only upload one picture due to the file size-

The size of the "skull" is 4" x 3"

What appears to be a "neck bone" (small round fossil below the "skull") measures 1 1/2" x 2"

Unfortunately, I am not certain of the origin of the stone, however I can guesstimate Morocco. I have read that alot of fossils that are in black marble typically come from Morocco. I also have some orthoceras fossils that are neat.

Please help me identify!!

post-10793-0-89139000-1357575709_thumb.jpg

I do not believe it is bone; there is no structure typical of bone (even allowing for how metamorphosed this marble is). It may be a section through a large shell; it's difficult to envision the original 3-D form from what is essentially a CAT Scan.

Very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am so disappointed :( I may have been too quick to tell people it appeared to be a fossil. I am now in doubt of the others I have. I am no expert but I'm certain I have a fish fossil in marble!! I am posting in the ID section. Please assist me in identifying.

I think it is a fossil, but not a skull. Rockwood is correct, it is a section through a bivalve, which intersects the hinge and shows the tooth & socket connection between the shells (valves). The section is approximately along the red line on the attached picture.

post-528-0-56317600-1357579940_thumb.jpg

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

I think it is a fossil, but not a skull. Rockwood is correct, it is a section through a bivalve, which intersects the hinge and shows the tooth & socket connection between the shells (valves). The section is approximately along the red line on the attached picture.

post-528-0-56317600-1357579940_thumb.jpg

Don

The valves would have a slightly different contour, and be articulated, but that is what I had in mind.

Thank you for the illustration and info Don. I was too quick to jump the gun on the skull! You have all been very helpful. :D