Don Johnson -- 1952-2012

Missourian

I just found out my good friend Don Johnson passed away. He was kind of a mentor when I first started to collect fossils, and we've since been friends for 25 years.

Perhaps a few on this forum may have known him.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Donald-Johnson&lc=2373&pid=161771354&mid=5343955

Context is critical.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and mentor. I'm sure his legacy lives on through you, with your knowledge and passion for the science, as well as any other attributes that made him your friend.

Steve

I'm sorry for your loss :(

If you care to remember publicly him a bit, please feel free tell us about him, and how he mentored you.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I got the fossiling bug while I was still in high school. I attended meetings at various rockhounding clubs around the city. I met Don at a club that met at UMKC (I can't recall the name). He brought in various nice KC fossils. I asked about them, and the next thing you know, we were hitting the various road cuts around town. He told me which layers had the good stuff, and the id's of many of the fossils. We continued to collect off and on for many years afterwards. We even took a few trips out to the chalk beds in western Kansas. We hadn't gone on fossil outings for a number of years now, but I kept in touch.

Context is critical.

My condolences on your loss.

Remember him, and the lessons learned from him, when you are out in the field fossil hunting.

Good friends are hard to find, and even harder to lose. :(

Kind regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 months later...

Missourian,

I was sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. It's tough when you hear about it months afterward.

Jess

I just found out my good friend Don Johnson passed away. He was kind of a mentor when I first started to collect fossils, and we've since been friends for 25 years.

Perhaps a few on this forum may have known him.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Donald-Johnson&lc=2373&pid=161771354&mid=5343955

My thoughts go towards you for the loss of your dear friend. Great friends are such a special part of life.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".