Farewell To A Nice Guy And A Dedicated Collector

big2th

After a long battle with cancer, Tim Ackley passed away this afternoon around 2PM. An avid collector of marine mammal fossils and former member of the Maryland Geological Society, National Capitol Fossil Society, and Calvert Marine Museum clubs, Tim was known for his generosity and willingness to share and help anyone. Be it Aurora, the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, or any creek site, Tim would forfeit his own pursuits to assit others (especially newbies) to increase their chances for a great fossil find. Quiet by nature, yet strong and hard working, Heaven gained a good one earlier today. Once Tim befriended you, he would go out of his way to help you with your fossil collection, home project, or anything in life. For those who believe, keep his family and loved ones in prayer during this time of loss.

Sorry to hear about the loss. He sounds like a rather great guy, I would have liked to meet him. May he rest in peace.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I never had the chance to meet him either, but from your words about him, it sounds like he was a great person. Very sorry to hear about the loss.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

He rests in peace now! His body returned to the earth that he so loved to study and his spirit soars with the knowledge and giving he so graciously shared! RIP Tim, Blessed be!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

He has sown a legacy of kindness and generosity; may all he touched hold fond his memory, and may his bereaved take comfort in that many care, and will remember.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That was a wonderful tribute you gave. My condolences to all those his life touched. He's in my prayers.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Thank you for sharing this sad news with us.

I did not know Tim, but he is in my thoughts right now.

I believe that all people in one way or the other are connected,

and Tim is now where he has to be.

I wish all his family, friends and you, big2th, strength to cope with this sad event.

Peter

His legacy will continue on in the memories of the people he touched and in the knowledge he shared. Sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family. May he rest in peace.....

Sorry to hear about this.

May he rest in peace.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Many of us who knew him attended his memorial service yesterday afternoon. We shared memories, which included laughs, great finds, and shed a few tears. Like the true fossil collector of whom we can all relate, he chose to have his ashes spread over one of his favorite collecting sites!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't know him. The hobby has benefitted from many people who helped others learn by giving out advice, leading by example, going the extra mile in some way. We don't hear about those people in the news. Thanks for letting us know about Tim Ackley.

Maybe another friend of his will find this thread later and post a memory.

Many of us who knew him attended his memorial service yesterday afternoon. We shared memories, which included laughs, great finds, and shed a few tears. Like the true fossil collector of whom we can all relate, he chose to have his ashes spread over one of his favorite collecting sites!

I glad to say I knew Tim and as big2th has said he will be missed by a lot of us. One of the best things about Tim was he cared about his friens and now the battle he had with cancer is over and he is now collecting all the time with the other collecters we have lost over the years. I know all of us that knew him are better for it.Collect on OLD FRIEND

Archived