Hello From Baltimore : )

apeajar

Hoping to converse with people who have common interests! I've been collecting fossils in Chesapeake Beach, MD for about 6 years now, and I'm still quite the amateur. I use my finds both for educational purposes (I work in public education) and to add to my personal collection. I'd love to visit other collection sites where I can look for something other than marine fossils, preferably within the Baltimore/D.C. area. Any suggestions?

Welcome from Washington! Several folks here on TFF that are well versed in collecting your area.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you familiar with Dinosaur Park, near Laurel, MD? LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you familiar with Dinosaur Park, near Laurel, MD? LINK

I am. Saw the newspaper article when it first opened, but I haven't visited yet. Is it true that you can't keep anything you find there?

Welcome from Washington! Several folks here on TFF that are well versed in collecting your area.

Hopefully I can refer to their expertise to id some of my finds!

Welcome! You may want to check out St. Clair Pa where you can find awesome fossil ferns.

I am. Saw the newspaper article when it first opened, but I haven't visited yet. Is it true that you can't keep anything you find there?

Yes, personal collecting is not permitted, but there are opportunities to help (and learn from) the pros.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, personal collecting is not permitted, but there are opportunities to help (and learn from) the pros.

From watching or getting information from pros you might just learn how to collect a specimen that you could destroy by using the wrong techniques

edit: Sadly I know this from experience.

Edited by obsessed1