Shipping Fossils Over Seas (Autralia From Us.)

turtleguy

Hello forum,

I'm hoping someone here will know about this. Today I was told by the local post office that shark teeth, even fossilised sharks teeth are banned by Australia,for import so the post office said I could not mail it. Did I go about this the wrong way? Just reading the forum in a casual way, I thought this was done all the time. I would really appreciate any info thanks

Kurt

Don't know about Australia, but Moahunt1 send a huge box of them to NZ from here (FL) last June.. no probs at all.

All your fossils are belong to us

Australia has a treaty with several other countries. Basically if it is banned to export from that country it is banned to import so you must look at the country of orgion. Do not try to send chinese fossils into australia no matter where thay have been.

Hello forum,

Thanks for the responses. I thought that it must be ok just from browsing the forum. So a call to the post office and their response surprised me to say the least. Anyway thanks and I'll be shipping tomorrow. PS.thanks for that link Cris.

As I'm the party involved in both cases, I should just add that it is completely legal to import shark's teeth.

I recently shipped a fossil shark's tooth to Australia with no problems. On the customs form I put "fossil for study". Good luck!

Hello forum,
I'm hoping someone here will know about this. Today I was told by the local post office that shark teeth, even fossilised sharks teeth are banned by Australia,for import so the post office said I could not mail it. Did I go about this the wrong way? Just reading the forum in a casual way, I thought this was done all the time. I would really appreciate any info thanks
Kurt

I think it has been said enough but I don't think the people at your post office knew what they were talking about.

Just to tack onto this thread: Is shipping fossils (those leaves) from Aus to other countries (US and France) an issue?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Just to tack onto this thread: Is shipping fossils (those leaves) from Aus to other countries (US and France) an issue?

Not on our end. They aren't covered as by cutlural heritage laws, so as long as the French have no problems importing, you should be alright. I've shipped there about 5 times without any problem.