I'm Clueless On This One Still. Could Be Wood But I'm Not For Sure.

rockdummy74

Looks like leaverite... Don't think it is wood... what attracted you to it?

Ed

It looked so odd from the other rocks all over. Like it was out of place. The shape at the top how it comes together was neat.

Not seeing anything that screams out organic or maybe wood, but that parallel cracking/veins on top in the 2nd picture is interesting. Could be one for the backy yard rock collection or if you feel like breaking off a piece from an innocuous spot you might can see something internally thats different from the weathered outsides. Before learning about rock saws and microscopic thin sections I had been known on occasion to smash the heck out of one like it with the goggles on and rock/engineers hammer flying to see what lies within. Untouched yard rock is probably the safest approach! :) Regards, Chris

Not seeing anything that screams out organic or maybe wood, but that parallel cracking/veins on top in the 2nd picture is interesting. Could be one for the backy yard rock collection or if you feel like breaking off a piece from an innocuous spot you might can see something internally thats different from the weathered outsides. Before learning about rock saws and microscopic thin sections I had been known on occasion to smash the heck out of one like it with the goggles on and rock/engineers hammer flying to see what lies within. Untouched yard rock is probably the safest approach! :) Regards, Chris

LOL. I have no problems smashing the snarge out of it! We shall see what secrets it keeps :)

LOL. I have no problems smashing the snarge out of it! We shall see what secrets it keeps :)

I should have added...now go easy at first...Just a small piece or corner for starters if that is possible...maybe something worth learning about and doing more viewing/picking/research before you cant recognize anything! You could end up with photos for another post in the what did I destroy section here! Good luck! Regards, Chris

One possibility is styolites:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=styolite&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.aWc&biw=1366&bih=704&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ygpfUdqUL_L9yAGH-ICYCw

Styolites are 'solution surfaces' that form when the tremendous weight of the overlying rocks causes the carbonate to dissolve in various spots. These spots eventually merge into a more or less continuous surface. Since these spots aren't always at the same level, a zig-zag pattern usually results as they connect. Insoluble residue left behind often give these gaps a dark color. In many cases, many inches or more of rock can be removed from the thickness of the strata.

Context is critical.

I would go with the styolite ID also. ;)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

One possibility is styolites:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=styolite&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.aWc&biw=1366&bih=704&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ygpfUdqUL_L9yAGH-ICYCw

Styolites are 'solution surfaces' that form when the tremendous weight of the overlying rocks causes the carbonate to dissolve in various spots. These spots eventually merge into a more or less continuous surface. Since these spots aren't always at the same level, a zig-zag pattern usually results as they connect. Insoluble residue left behind often give these gaps a dark color. In many cases, many inches or more of rock can be removed from the thickness of the strata.

Thanks Missourian. I'm wondering what a thin-section thru that is going to look like internally. hmmm...I should go dig around on the web a bit and do some reading..thanks again for the insight. Regards, Chris

Archived