Dr. Wann Langston - You Will Be Missed

Rock Mom

Wann Langston, Jr. (1921 - April 7, 2013)

Wann Langston Jr., was an American vertebrate paleontologist. Langston has named and described the dinosaurs Acrocanthosaurus (Stovall and Langston, 1950) and Lophorhothon (1960). He received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in 1952. Langston was the Director of the Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory of
the Texas Memorial Museum of Science and History at the University of Texas at Austin from 1969 until 1986 (when he retired); before that, he had been the
curator at the National Museum of Canada. Dr. Langston was the thesis advisor of Douglas Lawson when Lawson found the giant pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus.
In 2007, Langston was the twentieth recipient of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology's A. S. Romer-G. G. Simpson Medal, the highest honor of the society.

Langston passed away of natural causes a few days after a Geological Society of America symposium held in his honor at the South Central Geological
Society of America meeting in Austin, Texas.

He leaves behind as impressive a legacy as one could wish for, not just in the fossils he found and the papers he published, but in the lives that he touched.

Including mine and my daughters. Farewell, Wann. You are already missed.

I only spoke to him on the phone a few times, but he sounded like one of the nicest guys you would want to meet. His work is a constant source of reference for me.

Adieu.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I never met him, but he was one of the grand old men of paleo.

Edited by jpc