Help My 8 Year Old. :) Venice, Fl Snorkeling Find. Scute?

Kelleyack

Okay, I told my 8 year old that I would try and get an ID on this. We went to Venice, FL where he got to snorkel for things for the first time since we have zero visibility where we live. :)

I am guessing a scute of some sort. It is about 10 mm thick / 95 mm long. Any ideas?

post-10773-0-61039800-1366634034_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-74238900-1366634047_thumb.jpg

My take is that it is a heavily eroded bone fragment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If pressed to guess at the point of a gun, I'd say it is probably a small fragment of a large mammal pelvis. It has a superficial resemblance to a very erroded cetacean or proboscidean vertebral disk, but other than its thinness and rough shape, nothing in the structure or orientation of the bone spicules/spaces suggests that. It is flat enough, and large enough, that I don't think it is bison or horse, but a larger mammal - perhaps a very big camel or a proboscidean.

Pretty slim evidence to make an identification. But your son has a good eye to pick it out as bone at the age of 8!

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

If pressed to guess at the point of a gun, I'd say it is probably a small fragment of a large mammal pelvis. It has a superficial resemblance to a very erroded cetacean or proboscidean vertebral disk, but other than its thinness and rough shape, nothing in the structure or orientation of the bone spicules/spaces suggests that. It is flat enough, and large enough, that I don't think it is bison or horse, but a larger mammal - perhaps a very big camel or a proboscidean.

Pretty slim evidence to make an identification. But your son has a good eye to pick it out as bone at the age of 8!

Rich

Thank you Rich! I always enjoy reading your ID's. I appreciate you taking the time to make a guess!

Yes, my kids are getting good at knowing if something is fossil looking and feeling...even if we don't always know what it is at the moment. I will show him your remarks and it will make his day.

Kelley