Real Dimetrodon Track?

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

Looks like a real footprint but what made it is a guess, Dimetrodon have not been identified from Italy as far as I know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know the seller is quite specific about this track coming from Italy, but as soon as I saw the picture, I was reminded of the ichnofossils from the Triassic Muschelkalk of Winterswijk, The Netherlands. We have some Rhynchosauroides tracks in our database that look a bit similar. Could be a coincidence.

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

I don’t see any reason to doubt the locality – only to doubt the attribution. That area of Italy is rich in Permian-Triassic tracks (including Rhynchosauroides) but there are a large number of possibilities - although Dimetropus isp. (generally attributed to the pelycosaur Dimetrodon) isn’t one of them.

Chelichnus isp. tracks are also present, and currently assigned to non-therapsid Eupelycosauria, so it’s potentially confusing because Eupelycosauria is now regarded as the clade of synapsids that includes most pelycosaurs. There has been a lot of reassignment there (and more to come, I believe).

The matrix colour of the Val Gardena sandstone most usually has a distinct red tinge (and doesn’t quite reach up into the Triassic I think) but it could well be from the Bellerophon Formation above it.

Some good info on track ichnofossils in NE Italy here:

http://www.intechopen.com/download/get/type/pdfs/id/24572

Edited by painshill
  • I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]