Fossils For Classroom...?

Jesuslover340

Salutations! I recently had an idea, and I am not sure how it will be taken, but first, the background information:

I am in a college biology course, and have held a small fossil collection for a few years. As it is, we ( I speak as concerning my class) are about to delve into the topic of evolution and fossils in the next few weeks. Moreover, the instructor does not have the small fossil collection my previous biology teachers have had, spare for that which I have contributed. I was simply curious if others had spare fossils they might consider contributing/donating for future classes to examine (this is the first year for my school to have an AP biology course)? I know and understand that it is a lot to ask of...what are your thoughts?

Edited by Jesuslover340

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

What kind of fossils are you interested in? PM me with the answer.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you for your advice, Megafever! However, I only have a very small trilobite, no vertebrae, and only a few shark teeth- none of much significance,though.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

How about ray plates or whale bones and dinosaur bones.

Edited by megafever

I have neither of those, Megafever.

A couple of shells, not much of anything fancy- I am a neophyte, of sorts :)

I have a lot of shark and stingray teeth that I can provide for you. If you PM me your address info I can send you some. I recently gave similar fossils to a couple of other TFF members.

Daryl.

I'd be willing to send you a few things from the "bone pile". I'm sure others would too. Question, will this be something that stays in the classroom year after year?

Have you considered purchasing fossils? You would be able to come up with a greater variety of interesting teachable fossils in my opinion.

Having taught in this topic several times, there are several fossils for teaching that I would highly recommend, they are:

Amber/copal with inclusions

Shark teeth, prehistoric and modern

Croc/gator teeth, prehistoric and modern

Interesting-shaped leaf, e.g. sycamore from Green River Formation and modern-day

Mummified/preserved/dried modern bird leg with visible scales

Bird/dino tracks

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'd be willing to send you a few things from the "bone pile". I'm sure others would too. Question, will this be something that stays in the classroom year after year?

Thanks! And yes, it would be :)

Great! Glad to contribute. PM your address and I'll put a package together for you. I'll also give you some id's and locales FYI. It might be nice if when you get whatever you're able to round up together and displayed, take a picture and post it here so we can see the results. JW

One more thing. The name and location of the school would probably be appreciated. I would just as soon send them directly there.

I have plans to take a picture of all the donated fossils in the classroom :)

Concerning my school, I would rather not divulge that information, for privacy purposes on behalf of the instructor. Thanks!

Edited by Jesuslover340

• 3 weeks later...