Quick Peace River Trip

taylorcold

I hadn't got out to the Peace River this year and knew I'd run out of time soon as the rainy season would bring levels up soon. I went to the boat ramp on Rt 17 just north of Arcadia where the water level is exceptionally low. I wasnt able to get in the water but decided to walk along the river bank 100 yards south of the boat ramp. I discovered an area of gravel and checked it out.

post-3171-0-57017700-1395030379_thumb.jpg

Here's a closeup. The black shiny tooth-like material I noticed is at the center and one at the very top, just right of center. It was the piece at the top that I found most interesting.

post-3171-0-55785800-1395030579_thumb.jpg

On the bottom you could clearly see the holes for the root nerve

post-3171-0-49664000-1395030813_thumb.jpg

and the top was definitely the business end.

post-3171-0-92395100-1395030892_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool tooth and I didn't even have to get my feet wet!

Nice tooth ,do you know what it belongs to. I was thinking Bison but not 100%. Thanks for sharing :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

It really looks like a pile left from someone sifting. It's very likely that tooth might have been something overlooked in the sifter. Often gravel is misleading when it contains some goodies and it's only natural to suspect that it might be a pile of gravel not hunted. We've all inadvertently thrown a goodie or two back in after a long day of hunting. After digging and sifting up to 8 strait hours, everything in your sifter starts to look the same.

Nice find and hey, you didn't even get your feet wet!

Edited by Search4

It looks like bison or maybe a rhino (doubtful).

Nice find.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks for your replies! This is an excellent forum!! Smart helpful people. I kind of figured that this was a pile of already sifted material but , like Search4 wrote, we all miss stuff. The Peace is in the middle of the state and this area gets dizzy-hot in the summer. Before it was closed for good in August of 2011, I used to go to Rucks pit every weekend and that place was the hottest place in Fl.

Edited by taylorcold

Thanks for your replies! This is an excellent forum!! Smart helpful people. I kind of figured that this was a pile of already sifted material but , like Search4 wrote, we all miss stuff. The Peace is in the middle of the state and this area gets dizzy-hot in the summer. Before it was closed for good in August of 2011, I used to go to Rucks pit every weekend and that place was the hottest place in Fl.

One of the first places I found to hunt that was productive here was an area of fill with very little shade, mostly cacti and sand spurs. I spent a summer or two sifting out there and lovingly refer to it as "the desert".I'm not sure I knew what hot was till I dug out there in July lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Just looking at those pictures makes me jealous :)

So wish I lived someone closer to finding fossil teeth!! Nothing around me in Windsor, Ontario.