Nasa Image - Just A Rock?

sorapi

1. If I remember correctly (the early MER days were utterly fascinating....), the strange structure was due to differential weathering of crystals of a sulfate mineral in the sedimentary matrix.

2. That is probably fracturing of a broken concretion rind.

3. Can't tell for sure....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

You forgot the ammonite looking one. I think these are not fossils, but I think we will find some there one day.

You forgot the ammonite looking one. I think these are not fossils, but I think we will find some there one day.

I'm not a biologist but I do think these are fossils on mars, but only for the second one has a NASA scientist accounted for, richard hoover claimed this is a crinoid, but i really have no idea.

Edited by sorapi

I would have to go with Occam's razor until definitive chemistry, structure or symmetry was discovered.

Context is critical.

If fossils were preserved on Mars, they most likely would be in the form of stromatolites.

Context is critical.

If fossils were preserved on Mars, they most likely would be in the form of stromatolites.

We don't know until how long life was possible on mars, what the conditions were and so on and on, thats why i stay agnostic on this topic and if convincing pictures are the only evidence I will have to go with that, I'm just a human, if a see something that looks like an animal with details I won't think its just stones, it seems too far fetched, but thats just my mind lol.

If anyone comes up with evidence i go with that

I remain in a position of "hopeful anticipation" that incontrovertible evidence for extraterrestrial life will be found. Until then, my skeptic-meter is set on eleven.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I remain in a position of "hopeful anticipation" that incontrovertible evidence for extraterrestrial life will be found. Until then, my skeptic-meter is set on eleven.

It's just important that we keep this door open

I dont want to change the subject, but this picture has always intrigued me.post-14584-0-56282500-1395336245_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

The pictures show differential chemical weathering of various minerals, due to radiation, and eons of intense wind/ sandblasting. They are a pseudofossil, similar to an Earth metamorphic rock called Eozoon canadense or the group of minerals known as zeolites.

When I first saw the mars "blueberries", I was struck by the resemblance to taconite pellets. I trust the Nasa scientists when they say that they are naturally occuring hematite concretions. The process is explained well in the blueberries link.

i'm sure there is life out there somewhere in the universe, but I haven't seen any evidence of it in the Mars rocks.

It's amazing that we can get the incredible quality photos like pic #1 from 100million miles away, but cannot even see decent photos from members right here on the FF

Edited by PRK

It's amazing that we can get the incredible quality photos like pic #1 from 100million miles away, but cannot even see decent photos from members right here on the FF

If NASA would let me borrow a stereoscopic camera, I promise my photos would improve. :D

The pictures show differential chemical weathering of various minerals, due to radiation, and eons of intense wind/ sandblasting. They are a pseudofossil, similar to an Earth metamorphic rock called Eozoon canadense or the group of minerals known as zeolites.

When I first saw the mars "blueberries", I was struck by the resemblance to taconite pellets. I trust the Nasa scientists when they say that they are naturally occuring hematite concretions. The process is explained well in the blueberries link.

i'm sure there is life out there somewhere in the universe, but I haven't seen any evidence of it in the Mars rocks.

are you talking about the single segments or the thing that looks to me like an animal with one eye and the leg pointing towards the camera? or you mean the segment represent this strange shape?

Edited by sorapi

:D :D :D:P

Don

Have you read the information at the image source? All of your photos are taken with the hand lens imager. They are close-ups of different crystal forms of calcite and iron. Some of them are as intricately patterned as snowflakes, but they are mineral in origin.

1. calcite crust layers with internal iron oxides and windblown red iron soil particles

2. embedded spherules, an empty spherule crust, an intact crust with the forming spherule still inside

In contrast, the photo at #13 is an area over 3 kilometers wide and it also shows fluvial processes as windstorms sandblast and widen a canyon.

The white ridges are partially an artifact of light. They are the more resistant remains of a wind carved layer and the dark parks are the windblown sendiments in enormous landslides or dunes down the leeward side

• I found this Informative 1

Here are some photos of similar fractal crystalline patterns created by fluvial processes in a more ephemeral work of nature, as snow melts and refreezes. Zoom in for full effect.

post-14469-0-80183100-1395345777_thumb.jpg

This pattern is the top of a puddle.

post-14469-0-05891100-1395345748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tethys

Here are some photos of similar fractal crystalline patterns created by fluvial processes in a more ephemeral work of nature, as snow melts and refreezes. Zoom in for full effect.

attachicon.giffrozen fractal flow.jpg

This pattern is the top of a puddle.

attachicon.gifice puddle.jpg

i am aware of these processes, but that did not answer my question, i see those structures overlayed on the structure in the first image, but i asked if you think the structure that looks like a "limb", the torso and the head of the creature is represented by those sediments, or are they 2 seperate things? i was refering to the strange look of this structure, also the hollow parts what i see as toes, i will not claim anything just telling what i see and im wondering if we are talking about the same thing

Edited by sorapi