Is This A Texas Shark Tooth

rhbrann

• New Members

I'm new here. Sunday I was fishing with my daughter, having no luck, and look down and started seeing various fossils. As a kid I remember find fossils in the Benbrook lake and creeks. I picked up what I thought was a sharks tooth. Went online but couldn't seem to match it with what other people have found. Can you give me your opinion

post-14744-0-62955700-1395162268_thumb.jpgpost-14744-0-14847600-1395162270_thumb.jpgpost-14744-0-67582900-1395162272_thumb.jpg if it is a tooth or just a rock.

I'm not an expert, especially on vertebrates, but I don't think that's a shark tooth. It may be a whale tooth, or a different vertebrate fossil (bone or ivory). It does look like a fossil of some sort to me. I would tentatively identify it as ivory, based on the grain pattern visible in the second photo.

You have a nice set of marine fossils there otherwise! I see two ammonites, a nicely-shaped gastropod, at least three sea urchins, and a partial bivalve. The other three pieces don't have any clearly visible identifying characteristics in the photos, but could easily be more urchins.

Welcome to the Forum!

I am pretty sure it is not a shark's tooth; we have a bunch of Texas members, and I'll have to let them opine as to what it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi and welcome. Certainly not shark tooth. I see a pen shell or somesuch. Google pen shell fossil and see if any of the pix suggest yeah or nay.

I agree. I think it is some sort of bivalve mollusk shell.. not a tooth. Thanks for sharing.

• New Members

Thanks for the help. You guys have a great site here and I think I'm going back out this week end to look around some more. Is there a safe way to clean the rock from a fossil to see better what they are with out breaking them? Any good books you would recommend for fossil hunting to learn more about types and where to look? Thanks again for the feed back.

I use a dremel electric engraver to grind off a little matrix (surrounding rock) off my fossils. It's cheap and since it is not to powerfull it's hard to get carried away.

-kevin

Welcome to the forum from Cooke County. There is a section here on cleaning and prep and another on publications but, for fossils in Texas the best book is Charles Finsely's "A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas". Lots of good pictures for ID and some general fossil info to get you started.

You can clean fossils with dental picks or a very small (1/4") chisel and mallet but it will take some mistakes to learn to do it right so practice on broken, common fossils. I also use an engraver but it's hard on your fingers if you use it for too long at a time. You will learn how to control the follow-through which leaves little dings in the fossil.

If your fossil is simply encrusted with dirt or mud, a toothbrush can be helpful, too. :D Just be careful about using a wet toothbrush or dunking it in water; some forum members have posted stories about going to wash the mud or grit off a gorgeous specimen only to watch as it dissolves... :blink:

Anything you pick up out if a creekbed should be able to tolerate getting wet, though.

Have fun!

Edited by Mediospirifer