Could Someone Confirm This Trilobite Id?

drujd

I just bought this for my 6 yr old. The seller has it as a Elrathia kingi, from Antelope Ridge in Utah (mid Cambrian).

Does this does right to you knowledgeable folks?

Thanks,

Daniel

post-6183-0-68496500-1395364012_thumb.jpg

You know you're doing something right when your child asks, "When did Santa evolve?"

Yes, though to split hairs, there are two 'i's at the end of kingii. :)

I don't know enough to be sure about the locality name. I'll let those more knowledgable chime in.

Context is critical.

It has the appearance of a molt. The free cheeks are missing. The matrix has the light gray color that I associate with that trilobite and Utah. It was one of the first fossils I ever got - still have it - a multi plate with small individuals.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Most likely no one will ever try to fake an elrethria kingii- they are one of the most common trilobites in the world.

-kevin

That specimen is NOT Elrathia. It is Asaphiscus, NOT fake

I respectfully disagree. Asaphiscus is isopygous, which is to say the pygidium and cephalon are about the same size. The pygidium also has a broad conspicuous border. I think the specimen is a typical Elrathia molt.

The usual locality is Antelope Springs. I'm not familiar with Antelope Ridge, though that doesn't mean there isn't such a locality.

Don

Thank you all for your replies. I wasn't really concerned that it was a fake, I just wanted to confirm species and locality (and correct spelling - thanks Missourian).

Some of the other threads led me to believe it was a molt, so that's good to know as well.

Thanks again,

Daniel

You know you're doing something right when your child asks, "When did Santa evolve?"