Sea Shell Fossil Info

shavosbeard

Hello All,

First time poster here but long time inquisitive super-amateur gelogists/paleontologists =) On a recent trip to the Santa Monica Mountains for my trail run I came across a rock that was covered with sea shells. This rock was located on a hilside at about 1000 ft above sea level. It was loose but stationary and there were a few like it around it but not as pretty as the one I found. Im curious to know more about what I found and if I can provide any additional information to help please let me know.

Thank You,

E-man

IMG_20140322_092803_398.jpg

Look like some kind of distorted fossil Pecten (Scallop). I will say míocene or pliocene

Ditto

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Look like some kind of distorted fossil Pecten (Scallop). I will say míocene or pliocene

Ditto

thanks Fellas. As is with every find, is there any value associated with this fossil?

also the Pectin in that picture is the size of a dinner plate. :D Here's one I picked up in the Miocene of Virginia. The plate is 10" across.

post-2520-0-55723000-1395870452_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-17715900-1395870455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

also the Pectin in that picture is the size of a dinner plate. :D Miocene, Virginia

attachicon.gifPectin-1.jpgattachicon.gifpectin-2.jpg

Yea I noticed in comparison the Pectin I've been searching the ones I have are considerable smaller. possibly a third in size.

There's a large variety of shell fossils to be found in the Santa Monica mountains. This ones in pretty rough shape. You usually have to do a fair amount of digging and busting rock to find the nigher specimens, but they are there!

Love the barnacles! Are they fossilized too or recent?

Thanks, they are fossils also.