Minnesota Buckeye's Incredible Ordovician Sea Bottom Sculptures

Bev

Minnesota Buckeye displayed these at The Glacier Stops Here Expo.

They were a big hit and more on them here:

http://www.bluffcountryfossils.com/blog/incredible-ordovician-sea-bottom-sculptures/

post-9628-0-64815300-1395606580_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-63814900-1395606710_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-85897100-1395606725_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-86475200-1395606743_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-81023800-1395606764_thumb.jpg

FYI, the pictures don't do them justice at all!

They are AWE Inspiring in person!!!

Edited by Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

very nice.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Very cool. I like how actual pieces of the Ordovician sea floor were used.

Context is critical.

Those look like they're fun to make! But are these all Ordovician fossils? Some look Devonian to me but not sure.

bev, hope people liked the fossils as much as I did making them

I think they are terrific!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

bev, hope people liked the fossils as much as I did making them

They were hidden in the bottom of a canoe for half the show! I kept taking people over to see them after someone told me about them!

What they really needed was signage - but once I told them what they were representing most people were in AWE!

I certainly am! I even learned from them! I never thought that prosaporas would be upright! And how you got the recepts on those stems!!!

BTW, Oxbow Park asked if you would be willing to donate one to them!? They are also putting in a natural playground and looking for fossils to add to the sand. :-D

I found these sculptures TOTALLY INSPIRING! And I want to try my hand at one perhaps next winter.

Thank you so much for sharing them!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

The fossil scenes posted by Bev are my ARTISTIC rendition of how the ancient seabed may have looked like years ago. These pieces are being donated to local schools, nature centers, and state parks in our area. I will continue to produce pieces for anyone who would like one for educational purposes. It helps me pass the long winter months here in Minnesota. The scenes were created in an effort to stimulate the minds of our youth in hopes that more children will get outdoors and explore the wonderful world of nature . Fossil expeditions provide opportunity to experience not only rocks, but the natural communities around them. Just look at people's postings on the fossil forum. They show us their fossils, but it is their stories of experiences with plants, and animals and weather that create the most memories. Exposures like this are what is missing in many of our children's (as well as adults) lives today !!!!!!! I hope to make some minor progress with this through my creations.

Wrangellian is probably correct in his assessment of my landscapes. I am a newbie to the world of fossils and collect mostly from the driftless lands of Minnesota which is primarily Ordovician. On occasion my travels to Iowa and Ohio have allowed me to pick up some rocks from areas that are likely Devonian. So some crossover of periods may exist in my displays. There are actually many more flaws to my creations, if one looks. Cheap trilobites from Morocco are on each hash plate. I could not part with my locally collected Ordovician trilobites but felt trilobites are an important part of our ancient sea floor and needed to be in my creations. If one looks carefully, pieces of receptaculites are displayed on long stalks. This may create the feeling of fingernails on a chalkboard to a purist from the world of geology. But they help artistically to bring everything together perched way up high. Again my project was meant to stimulate interest, not be a perfect rendition of the past. If I offend anyone because of this, you have my apologies.

• I found this Informative 1

These are just terrific, I'm especially liking the trees, also. And the last display will have me thinking of many projects, the rock background for the shells is very attractive. I'd like to use some thin shale for backgrounds in hanging displays now. Maybe even an intarsia type display of strata... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Thank you Mike for explaining that! The pictures in no way do these justice!

I have seen a lot of creativity on TFF with fossils, displaying fossils and utilizing fossils in other settings. Recently I applied for an art grant to the Southeast Minnesota Arts Center - SEMAC - to create some canvas, jewelry and sculpture from fossils (no fossils harmed :) ). I was denied on my first app but came very close to getting $2,500 to create this - basically I didn't know I could add pictures and didn't allow myself enough of a stipend to do them. However, they loved that it would be displayed at Nature Centers, Parks and Tourism Centers.

That said, I emphatically encourage those of you who are creating with fossils to consider applying for an arts grant to share your love of fossils and nature! Just do a search in your state for arts grants and you may be amazed at how much money is out there!

And yes, I would be willing to share what I wrote and the comment sheets which give me an excellent idea of how I can correct it and get funded - great for disabled people and retirees who are doing this anyway! :D I could not find any examples of art grants to go by on the internet! And they won't give you examples...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I like the sculptures, and I think the idea of putting together displays like this to stimulate the interest of kids (and adults!) is really cool.

Dioramas and representative sculptures attract the attention and are an excellent way to show a setting. Building your sculpture out of the real thing adds an exciting dimension to it. I think the people who see these will be looking at them more closely because the pieces are really fossils and not sculpted.

At least, I would be!

... If I offend anyone because of this, you have my apologies.

No worries, It just depends on how accurate you want to get, but certainly these are very evocative of a Paleozoic sea and especially good for the relatively uninitiated - they certainly grabbed our attention so I can imagine how they must grab the attention of kids!

I can understand the need to add the trilos but not your own - Morocco has enough Ordovician bugs for everybody ;)

• 2 months later...

These are great! I love the combination of real fossils with diorama that recreates the look and feel of their original environment. Marine fossils like these can seem so abstract to most people that it is very difficult for them to understand what they are or how they interacted with the environment. I think this display method adds all the context necessary to make them come alive in peoples minds, and that is as worthy a cause as any in this field! Keep up the fantastic work!