I Got All Excited........

Tinbum

• New Members

I found this by chance and immediately assumed it was an ammonite. Heaving cleaned and inspected it, it bore a huge resemblance to one of my Whippets claws, right down to the wear on the "tip" and the quick inside. At the unworn end there are some marks which I took to be nail roots, but now I'm thinking ammonite again.

Someone please put me out of my misery!

post-14813-0-96481000-1395679683_thumb.jpg

post-14813-0-07943400-1395679705_thumb.jpg

It is the outer coil from an ammonite; note the typical structure on the cross section.

Best regards,

Partial ammonite it is! The convolutions on the broken end show the surface topography of a 'septum', or the wall between the chambers.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thanks guys! And there was me thinking I'd discovered a 100' long prehistoric dog!!

Back to the beach......... :-)

Whippet Rex! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!