Lake Jacksboro Find.

RyanNREMTP

I found this large rock during the Lake Jacksboro trip. What attracted me to it was the large shell imprint on the one side. I saw the stuff in question but wasn't concerned about it much then. As I'm going through and sorting the finds out this one I can't identify. It's not in either book that I have for fossils so I'm asking the collective here. I'm sure it's something pretty common that someone can answer pretty fast.

100_3765_zps7dfd63de.jpg

100_3764_zps47aaac89.jpg

100_3763_zps26b4a0a8.jpg

And what attracted me in the first place.

100_3762_zps3cc6f537.jpg

Lake Jacksboro is Pennsylvanian, Finis Shale Formation.

Thanks for the direction to look into. At first I was thinking some sort of tube worms. I had considered some sort of coral but I don't know much about coral species. I just got started on the horn coral that I found at the same site.

Cladochonus is a possibility as it's listed as a common Pennsylvanian auloprid coral from Oklahoma and Texas.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Cladochonus is a possibility as it's listed as a common Pennsylvanian auloprid coral from Oklahoma and Texas.

Ditto.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Yep, Piranha is correct. I believe it is Cladochonus texasensis. I'm sorry but I can't quote a reference right now but I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

My reference is as follows; "Description of the Lower Pennsylvanian Corals from Texas and Surrounding States" by R.C.Moore and R.M. Jeffords, published by the Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas, Publication 4401, 1945, page 187, text figure 206 onn page 186, and Plate 14.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks, I've read a little pieces of it but haven't found the whole thing. Apparently there isn't a lot about this coral on the internet. All the pictures on Google are from this forum.