Fossil Imprint? Or Moon Landing...

mellon

• New Members

Hello, I don't know that much about fossils at all, but I have a question for folks here. I'm not sure if this is even a fossil question, but any help is appreciated.

My dad took me to see the dinosaur tracks at Picketwire Canyon last September, located in Colorado, about 15 miles from La Junta.

Near the river where the dinosaur tracks are, I took a picture a little bit further away from the tracks of some strange, slightly regular indentations in the rock. I haven't had any luck identifying what it is through the park service.

post-14839-0-66897100-1395953706_thumb.jpg

It kind of looks like a moon boot. There had been flooding in the area during the summer, and at first my dad thought it was just a boot print - there was a bunch of mucky mud all over. You can see where it's just a thin island of rock that everything else has been washed away from. My best guess is that it's rib bones where an animal had been laying, but it could be something much more mundane - or interesting, I suppose.

I don't recall exactly how big it was - it was sort of an offhand quick snap, and the group was moving on so I had to catch up. I'd say maybe 15" x 8" or so.

Again, thanks for any guidance!

These are ripple marks. Traces left from relatively slow moving water. Just like the ones we see in today's rivers. They look like they're asymmetrical, meaning you can even tell the flow direction is likely from right to left of the picture.

ripples.gif

• I found this Informative 3

I agree. They look like ripple marks to me also. :)

Here in the Northeast USA, ripple marks are good indicators of the possible presence of dinosaur footprints.

They are often found in association due to the nature of the shallow water environments at the time.

Regards,

EDIT: to add link.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• New Members

I had no idea there was such a thing. I guess my dreams of having some new discovery named after me are dashed. :P Still, that's extremely cool to know, and kind of more interesting than my theory.

Thanks to all for clearing up the mystery for me so quickly. If I ever run across anything like this again, hopefully I'll recognize it right off.

cheers

...I guess my dreams of having some new discovery named after me are dashed. :P ...

Just change your name to "Mark Ripple" ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

...I guess my dreams of having some new discovery named after me are dashed. :P ...

Just change your name to "Mark Ripple" ;)

Heh. Possibly the best shot at fame I'm ever likely to get. :D If nothing else pans out...well, it's a thought.

Yes, ripple marks. If you can manage cleaning the surrounding upper thin layer a bit, you'll probably see them spreading further. But it's not worth the effort. They are very common. I see them a lot in the Cretaceous rocks of Istria. I'll post some examples on my blog later.