Astragalus Id Wolf Or Bear?

calhounensis

This astragalus was found in a Pleistocene layer alongside mammoth and large turtle material. Its origin is Bradenton, Florida. It matches exactly what Harry Pristis has labeled as a dire wolf, although it is larger than my dire wolf calcaneum. After looking at the Mammalian Osteology book, I now believe it belonged to one of the bears. Any one know which one? Thanks for any help.

post-13916-0-35741200-1396026414_thumb.jpgpost-13916-0-99805700-1396026421_thumb.jpg

It has been my experience, whenever I find a bone and know which element it is, but can't decide if it is an artiodactyl or a carnivore, better check Neochoerus.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks for the advice, I'm amazed at the size difference between the Neochoerus astragalus that I had in my collection before and this new one. This most recent one is much larger, probably why I looked over it before. Was there a large size range in this genus? Or was there more than one species in Florida's Pleistocene?

There are two species of Neochoerus, one large and one small. The used to be thought different in age, but that seems not to be the case.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".