Trilo Shell Or Brachs?

Bev

First hunt of the season. I found a south facing slope exposed. :-D

Ordovician

Galena Formation

Fillmore County, Minnesota

Most everything I am going to post right now for ID is out of one rock that just broke apart very easily after our hard winter up here. But I am rather confused about what I am seeing. Perhaps it is just the new year and my eyes need retraining. :-)

post-9628-0-51223500-1396104450_thumb.jpg

An overview of the rocks - note the similar curves on both. I think one is with shell and the other with the shell off.

post-9628-0-76010700-1396104537_thumb.jpg

Note the spots. I read on some thread that trilos may have spots.

post-9628-0-17052600-1396104586_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-03624900-1396104622_thumb.jpg

And check this out in the upper corner of the rock. What is it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for looking! :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Well, I've looked but I don't have any idea what it is. It would help if the photo was more detailed; the close-up in the second photo is only 388 × 263 pixels.

Sizing photos is the bane of the forum. Newbies try uploading photos that are too large and wonder why it doesn't work, but if you go in the other direction and make them too small, we just can't see the details we're supposed to be looking at. It's the Goldilocks problems, getting the pictures just right! ;)

It's nice being able to get back out in the field, though, isn't it? After staying inside all winter, I finally had my first trip back to Portland Point, last Friday.

• I found this Informative 1

post-9628-0-24890300-1396108470_thumb.jpg

Try this one. :-D

You are so right about it being nice to get back on the rocks!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

These are trilobite fragments, specifically a partial free cheek and associated hypostome. The ocular suture is the key feature for ID. Attached for comparison are representative illaenid elements of Bumastoides that are similar to your examples.

post-4301-0-43498300-1396114162_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

We find Isotelus Trilobite fragments in the Ordovician of Kentucky that looks like that.

I attached illaenid examples for comparison because Isotelus has a forked hypostome

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Great hunting here but Somerset is not the best area but interesting stuff not to far away, there are some good mineral areas near there.

Love your avatar! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

These are trilobite fragments, specifically a partial free cheek and associated hypostome. The ocular suture is the key feature for ID. Attached for comparison are representative illaenid elements of Bumastoides that are similar to your examples.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

Bev, this pic is better but it seems to have another problem that I often see on the forum, too, which is that it seems to have been compressed or 'despeckled' (really the opposite - speckled), which is something that obscures fine detail even in larger photos such as this. I'm not sure what the source of the problem is, but it might help if you try to save at the highest quality (either your camera or any image editing software on your 'puter) and avoid anything that might compress them such as when I go to email a large photo to somebody, it asks if I want it to be shrunk automatically or send original size. Seems there are pitfalls like this at every turn!

Here is an enlargement of part of your photo, so you can see the little single-pixel dark speckles surrounded by blurry areas that are typical of this type of compression - I get the same effect when I 'despeckle' an image in my image editing program:

post-4372-0-97409100-1396239657_thumb.jpg

(Maybe I should add this under one of the topics in the 'Help & Suggestions' category?)

I see what you are saying but I have no idea how to correct it. I am currently on the highest setting for this camera, a Nikon Coolpix L810. And I'm using a rudimentary paint program to edit that came with the computer.

As far as I know, I'm not compressing the photo but maybe I am by resizing? I took 5 pics and that one was the best of the lot.

Each picture in this setting is like 5 MB so I absolutely must resize as I'm taking photos on the closeup setting.

I am very open to taking better pictures, just don't know how. :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I hear you. Computers and cameras can be tricky, and they'll do things without you realizing it. Maybe the resizing is doing it, but the resizing function on my program doesn't do this, only the despeckle function does. - which program are you using?

Photo Viewer doesnt manipulate the image I think, it's just a viewer?

I'll play around with Paint to see if it might be the problem.

EDIT: My version of Paint doesn't seem to have a resizing option - yours does?

Edited by Wrangellian

... My version of Paint doesn't seem to have a resizing option - yours does?

Go to "Edit", "Stretch/Skew"; use equal values for height and width.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go to "Edit", "Stretch/Skew"; use equal values for height and width.

My version doesn't have that function! Maybe it's different for the different versions of Windows? (I'm using XP)

I think I just have windows 7.

Worse yet, this computer is burning up so I'm going to be switching soon - I have it, I'm just scared of it Windows 8.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Hello,

In order to help resize or resample pictures, the best solution is probably to download Irfanview, which is a free software (http://www.irfanview.com/).

With that software you can resize/resample several pictures at once (Batch conversion/rename), which can be quite practical.

Personaly I use Photoshop to resample pictures. There is an option "save for the web" with which you can adjust the size/quality of picture Kb per Kb, ensuring you have the maximum quality for a given size. The problem is of course that Photoshop is not for free...

Hope this can help... :)