Snorkling For Fossils

Sh0n

I was considering bringing some snorkeling gear on a trip to Calvert Cliffs State Park and try diving a few yards from the beach. I've been looking at plans for building a cheap floating sifter I could tote along with me by rope, and maybe a small shovel/trowel to scoop some material from several feet down into it. Would this be beneficial (or illegal)? Or should I just ditch the idea and continue searching in the surf?

Edited by Sh0n

Been there, done that. Between the bad visibility and the algal goop & encrustations, I abandoned the experiment pretty quickly and went back to beach combing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Don't forget to check the jellyfish forecast if you plan on trying this. I tried it once and lost one of my favorite fossil digging scoops. It was my favorite because I found it in Big Brook, NJ. Don't try it if there are any waves, it is just too much work for basically no fossils.

Edited by Scylla

As both have stated, snorkeling requires clear visibility no matter where you are going to attempt it. Even if conditions are perfect bellow the water sometimes even being overcast can hinder your search. GL

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

About the only time the water along Calvert Cliffs is clear enough to see much is in the winter. The good news is during the winter you wouldn't have to worry about algae, the jellyfish or a lot of boat traffic to make waves and cloud the water. The bad news is with the water temps being in the mid thirties you would probably freeze pretty fast. I have heard of guys scuba diving some deeper drops during warmer weather but never found out if they found anything. I have heard of success using a glass bottom bucket this time of year to help see into the water a little better. Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you try anything.

I have seen people there years ago throw on a wetsuit on and hit the water good ole florida style with a homemade screen. Seems like you'd wanna go a couple yards off and use a flat shovel to scoop up gravel and fossils off the surface that have already been naturally sifted. Waters too murky round those parts for snorkel.

Edited by dozer operator