North Sulphur River Questions

TyrannosaurusRex

I was wondering how it might be best to collect fossils from the north sulphur river. I would like to know what kinds of fossils there are there? And of those found please tell me how easy it is to find each? And where is it best to look? On the banks or in the water? And if there are micros how to collect them? (Never collected any before)Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

Collecting the Sulphur is never easy, lots of wading and mud. The best place for someone that hasn't hunted the S. River is the gravel bars but the more experienced S. River hunter will hunt the shallow water areas that contain gravel, but one has to develope an eye for that, this comes with many trips there. As to what you can find there, one never knows, could be bones from the Pleistocene, Mosasaur verts and shark teeth from the Cretaceous, even arrowheads can be found.

You have to watch the water level as hunting just after is the best but can also cause more water to be in the channel and limit your hunting areas if not prevent entering the river. Check your map and see where bridges cross the river and start your hunt there as the fossils are moved by the water current and settle on the gravel bars, the entire river has potential. I don't like to suggest the Ladonia bridges as they are hunted so much that a trip there might not satisfy the time it take to get there and the number of finds if any.

Now micro stuff, the gravel bars start with the heavy stuff at the head of the bar tapering off to small gravel towards the end. I have found a lot of micro fossils in the 1/4 inck gravel as it tapers down to 1/16, zip lock bags work great.

I hope you are not planning to go by yourself, as a new hunter it is always best to have company, don't suggest taking children until you get a feel for the river, also hunt slow as many of your finds could and usually are partially covered by the last high flowing water. Rubber boots are great or shoes that you care much about are fine, suggest long pants as you might have to walk through tall grass to enter the river, a walking stick is a must to help with entering the river as the banks are steep, sorry no elevators. Backpack to put your finds in and plenty of water and a snack is recommended. Hope some of this helps.

I have several galleries that contain some of my 25 years of hunting the Sulphur, feel free to check it out if you would like------Tom

• I found this Informative 1

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thank you so much! This will be so helpful! And I will look at your gallery. Thanks again!!!!!