Need Help On This One, Form The Banks Of The Yellowstone

45saa

Hi folks...I picked this up while searching for agates...I seen it 20 feet away as something out of the ordinary due to the perfect circle which is 7/16th of an inch in diameter with a four leaf clover design in the center. Within the same rock there is a vertebrae fossil...( I believe) and closer examination shows various fossils through out...Any help would be appreciated.

I find plenty of coral and large leafs etc. within this stretch of the river but usually to much agate to pack out...leaving the fossil behind with the exception of this one....Thanks for your time....

Not sure why I'm unable to up load the photo...It is 1.75 MB in size.....

Edited by 45saa

Picture, please.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here are some tips for image posting:

LINK1

LINK2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Guys...finally was able to go back into photos and down size.......your instructions were perfect.

This fossil is indented and has 5 pedals somewhat like clover leaf......

The second looks like a vertebrae and is within an inch of the first...

After 40 years of collecting agate and seeing fossils way too large to pack out my interest after finding these have sparked a new interest.....

post-6524-0-11120300-1396752236_thumb.jpg

post-6524-0-60946600-1396752813_thumb.jpg

Edited by 45saa

Yes the first is the view from one end of a section of crinoid stem. Trying to figure out from the shadows but it does look like a mold if the cloverleaf is protruding out because it is a hole in the original. I can't make out what you have in the second picture, maybe a collector from there will recognize it.

One is a crinoid columnal. The second photo has some interesting shapes, but its too small to make out any clear details.

The second specimen may be the cavity from dissolved crinoid 'stems'.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for all your help and to the Administrator ...thank you for guiding me in getting this posted...For all those wishing to see agates...I'll be posting in the rock section as soon as I get all the photos downsized....I have some pretty unique Montana agates as well as more fossils after all these years of collecting and would be glad to share as well as answering any questions concerning the Agate...Thanks for identifying the fossil....