Late Miocene "whatsit"

hokiehunter

I found this the other day and I'm still scratching my head over it. It seems to have a thin veneer of the hard "cement like" matrix that you occasionally find in the Calvert Formation. Superficially it looks to me like a tooth due to the genreal shape, appearance of what looks like a crown, and small flecks of enamel like material peaking thru the matrix but also know this is probably a case of wishful thinking. Any thoughts/ideas on this are welcome. Thanks in advance.

post-2363-0-46570500-1396889638_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-23043200-1396889643_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-02106500-1396889648_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-44119500-1396889652_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-63897900-1396889810_thumb.jpg

Edited by hokiehunter

free finger of a big crab claw in concretion? You'd have to prep it to be positive of any ID. You should crack a few of any similar concretions to see what they contain.

I agree, you should try and peel back some of the outer layer. I know it's easier said then done, but this may be the only way to get a positive ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

free finger of a big crab claw in concretion? You'd have to prep it to be positive of any ID. You should crack a few of any similar concretions to see what they contain.

Hmmm... I'm liking this explanation. It does have "claw like shape" and the shell would explain the shiny black bits underlaying the concretion.

Could it be the tip of some type of burrow?

Thanks for the thought Kevin. I'm leaning no though due to the bits of enamel at the base and tip. The picture showing the base doesn't do a good job showing it but it has a shiny black bit peaking thru like what you would find inside a broken cetacean tooth which was one of the other reasons I was thinking in that direction. I had not considered a crab/lobster claw though. That would explain the shiny bits too.