The Largest Specimen Of Native Silicon Element In Existence As Far As I Know

Tennessees Pride

This was discovered by myself several yr ago. Identified by professor Joe Delay of Freed-Hardeman as the element silicon. I this is "native" and certainly not man-made. No one has ever paid it much attention because it has automatically as man-made stuff. Native Silicon is one of the rarest substances on earth....so rare infact that most just say it doesn't exist! But here it is stareing the whole world in the face! Native Silicon actually DOES occur, in two different modes: 1) As volcanic exhalations, & 2) as sometimes inclusions in the element gold. Man-made Silicon is grown in labs under specific conditions, which would never allow for sediments to be fused to it, like in this wonderful example, nor have dark burnt debris on it's bottom....such as mine. The last time i was @ the Smithsonian, they didn't even have any of this stuff on display. Make no mistake, this has been tested and found to have a density of 2.65

post-14571-0-49255600-1396899529_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-18722500-1396899660_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Awesome piece! I've never heard of such.

Have you thought about donating it to the Smithsonian?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Awesome piece! I've never heard of such.

Have you thought about donating it to the Smithsonian?

Yea, but it was just a thought.....

--- Joshua

that is elemental silicon? how cool! Where did you get it?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'll bet it was a lot more common before all that pesky oxygen appeared in our atmosphere. How did this specimin form?

Bottom side, and a closer view. This specimen is actually broke from a larger section as far as i can tell. Prof. Delay stated in an article that it was the largest one he'd ever seen. Said they're usually found about thumbnail size....& i know he told me the largest example he knew of was about 2 inches across.

post-14571-0-85805900-1396900481_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-03582500-1396900616_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Very cool.

Crystal structure and inclusions within should help verify a natural origin.

Edited by Missourian
  • I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

This should explain alittle more, sorry, the article got wet once. The only correction needing to be made in the article is i took the whole specimen to the university, then is when a section was chipped off of it.

post-14571-0-67853200-1396901496_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

that is elemental silicon? how cool! Where did you get it?

Hahaaa...hey Herb, i found it about 7 or so miles from my house! Back then i didn't know my geological layers that good....but that sediment that is fused in the top, it is the same color as the dirt i found it in.

--- Joshua

I'll bet it was a lot more common before all that pesky oxygen appeared in our atmosphere. How did this specimin form?

Still not sure, mr. Delay wouldn't venture an opinion,as, he's a chemist. But, i'd say straight outta a volcano if i were forced to give an opinion.

--- Joshua

Meteorites are another possibility. I've heard of carbides at least (and apparently native silicon) being found. Even then, the large size of the chunk would be unusual.

Context is critical.

Very cool.

Crystal structure and inclusions within should help verify a natural origin.

I know you're right.....just....it costs money...

--- Joshua

Meteorites are another possibility. I've heard of carbides at least (and apparently native silicon) being found. Even then, the large size of the chunk would be unusual.

This is perhaps alittle premature to announce.....but.....i'm all but certain i have located microtektites, and spherules!!! Currently, i can't directly tie those to the same origin of this material .....but man am i tempted! I must go do a few things now, will be back alittle later tonight....

--- Joshua

Native silicon was found in Lunar regolith samples returned from the Apollo 16 mission and has also been found in the lunar meteorite Dhofar 280 (which originated from the Lunar Highlands), where it probably formed by condensation of an impact-induced vapour. It can also form in fulgurites (lightning strikes on silica-rich ground) and as inclusions in placer gold. But in all of those cases, the crystals are tiny.

At that very impressive size, an extrusive igneous source associated with upper mantle rocks or a volcanic origin are by far the most likely. A while ago, scientists sampled gases from the vents of the Kudriavy/Medvezhya volcano complex in Kamchatka, Russia by shoving quartz tubes into them. All kinds of minerals condensed from the gases rushing through the tubes, including pure silicon embedded in masses of salts such as halite. But the crystals were sub-millimeter in size. The Kamchatka volcanic region is one of the few areas of the world where “sizeable” crystals of pure silicon can be found.

• I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I'm about to start a Tektite thread in the "Fossil i.d." section. We'll see, i hope i have Tektites, that would be wonderful! :D

--- Joshua

@ Painshill,sir, you are a walking treasure-trove of Silicon knowledge! I knew about the gold & the Russian volcano, but not the other great info. Thank you so much for that excellent information!

--- Joshua

Well,i settled with posting the potential Tektites in the Rocks & Minerals section....it was kinda a tough call where to place it.

--- Joshua