S.c. State Fossil

Angus Stydens

Legislation has been passed declaring a state fossil for S.C. and it is on it's way to the governor's desk where she will surely sign it. The state fossil will be the Columbian mammoth, but it's not quite that simple. In addition to the term "woolly mammoth" being included in just about every article on the upcoming state fossil (most of our legislators and newspaper reporters had no idea the woolly and Columbian were two different species) there was another embarrassment on the horizon. Here is a little goodie tacked on to the bill:

"The Columbian Mammoth, which was created on the Sixth Day with the other beasts of the field, is designated as the official State Fossil of South Carolina and must be officially referred to as the 'Columbian Mammoth', which was created on the Sixth Day with the other beasts of the field."

If you want to read the entire bill, you can find it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/02/state-fossil-science-fight/7183277/

This legislative act speaks for itself, so I will not comment on it any further.

• I found this Informative 2

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

Yeah, we've had a couple discussions on the Forum about this; real hot-button stuff.

I am most forcefully struck by the apparent violation of the tenet of separation between church and state!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In fairness the bill should also include a doctrinaire blurb about Evolution. Absolutely mendacious and repellent to the public trust!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum." - James L. Petigru

Please come visit. We are not all crazy and are mostly kind, gentle and easy to get along with (unless we've been drinking).

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I was given some bad information concerning the state fossil. The S.C. senate passed the bill, but it was shot down by the House, 70-32. So the legislation is dead for now.

• I found this Informative 1

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

• 3 weeks later...

Update number two: The bill to name the Columbian mammoth the state fossil was revived after the part that was added, the Columbian mammoth, which was created on the sixth day with the beasts...." was removed. When it came up for a vote, it passed both the House and Senate unanimously. It is now headed for the governor's desk where it will undoubtedly be signed into law.

• I found this Informative 1

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

In South Carolina, it's about how stories, once told around a camp fire, and only later comitted to writing, could be taken so literally.

• 5 years later...
On 4/7/2014 at 7:09 PM, snolly50 said:

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum." - James L. Petigru

Please come visit. We are not all crazy and are mostly kind, gentle and easy to get along with (unless we've been drinking).

Snolly50,

Great quote.

Jess