Newbie - Is This A Fossil?

epaus

• New Members

Hey,

I've always loved fossils but never really took any time to learn about them or geology. If I didn't study it in college, I don't know how to find out about. It's a character flaw on my part. A few years ago, I did visit Dinosaur Park in Maryland with my son as a long term science project and became a volunteer or sorts. We learned not to dig. Just look at the surface. A very good time to do that is after a rain. So, I was in my backyard in Smyrna, TN yesterday after a rain, when I thought I would look down at the ground and see what was there. I found a very dirty rock. But, it looked like it had potential to me. So, I took it in and washed it off. To me, it looks like a fossilized bone...maybe a piece of vertebra...but not from a large animal.

I don't even know where I can take it to show it to someone. If you could advise me about that as well, I would appreciate it. I'll probably continue to look in our yard, even if it is nothing. We live on a hill and our yard is constantly washing away.

Thanks for your help.

post-14944-0-66747300-1396978330_thumb.jpg

post-14944-0-34611400-1396978329_thumb.jpg

post-14944-0-75776000-1396978327_thumb.jpg

post-14944-0-00437700-1396978326_thumb.jpg

post-14944-0-42730400-1396978324_thumb.jpg

post-14944-0-06510300-1396978323_thumb.jpg

I think it is just a suggestively shaped rock. I don't see any evidence of bone. Still, you are more likely to find invertebrate fossils in your area. Keep looking and welcome to The Forum. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

looks like weathered chert to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• New Members

No bubbles. Surely, it must be more than 1 kind of rock. The white stuff, that to me looks like a bone, feels very different than the orange stuff. The white stuff is smooth while the orange stuff is rough. I will look up what chert is. Thanks for your input.

The rocks in your general area are either Ordovician limestone, or Mississippian age limestone, sandstone, and shale. The white blocky shapes are a characteristic of karsted limestone. The reddish layers look like sand that filled in the dissolved areas of the original limestone and was lithified in turn.