Could This Be A Fossil?

Hunson Abadeer

Recently found this loose on a beach in southern NJ, USA. It is almost totally covered in tiny dot-like bumps of similar shape and size on both sides of the rock. It appears to me from the side view that the "dots" run through the whole rock vertically in a tube-like pattern. Any clues as to what this might be (if anything) would rock! Thanx for your time!

post-14973-0-39982800-1397338087_thumb.png

post-14973-0-23985700-1397338100_thumb.png

post-14973-0-91179900-1397338070_thumb.png

hmm... could be an ordinary rock... but, considering the details on the surface my guess is some kind of fossilised coral/sponge.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

It appears to be fossilized cartilage. Nice find!

Cartilage doesn't have a tabulate structure. It looks like a Paleozoic tabulate coral.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Cool, thanx for the input! I'm excited to have found something that was alive hundreds of millions of years ago! Would this be considered something rare, or is it pretty common as far as fossils go? Any more info would be much appreciated.

Honeycomb corals are fairly common, depending on the period and rock formation. There's literally entire reefs of them in the Silurian and Ordovician rock where I live. They're still really cool fossils though. Nice find!

It is a fairly common fossil. If you are interested in seeing the structure better you could have one side of the coral pollished, you would probably be very suprised at the detail and colors.