Petrified Dinosuar - Full Body Preservation

painshill

Well, that got your attention. :D Here it is: :blink:

post-6208-0-60976600-1397421364_thumb.jpg

That’s a soft toy… although it is petrified. I’ve been up north for a few days and visited a place called Knaresborough. The town has what is claimed to be Britain’s only “petrifying well” (it isn’t, although it’s the most famous), which is first mentioned in records from 1538. It’s also known as a “dripping well”.

Geologically, what they have in Knaresborough is a small karst spring (pictured below) coming out of the limestone, which is loaded with dissolved carbonates and carbon dioxide. As the spring exits the limestone, the carbon dioxide comes out of solution, reducing the acidity to the extent that the water can no longer retain the dissolved carbonates and they precipitate onto any available surfaces as tufa.

post-6208-0-24548100-1397421383_thumb.jpg

There’s a rim on the edge of the limestone formation over which 700 gallons of water per hour trickle, petrifying everything beneath in a remarkably short time. The two mushroom-like bulges in the picture below were originally a gentleman’s hat and a lady’s bonnet, placed there in Victorian times.

post-6208-0-92032400-1397421394_thumb.jpg

In earlier times, superstitious folk had seen petrified leaves, twigs, dead birds etc in the pool below the rim and believed that if they touched the water then they might also be turned to stone. In later times it was believed the water might have miraculous powers. According to legend, Ursula Sontheil was born as a societal outcast in 1488 in a cave adjacent to the spring.

post-6208-0-20769800-1397421429_thumb.jpg

Her hooked nose and chin were said to have almost met in front of her face in the manner of a crab’s claw, as per this reconstruction:

post-6208-0-99039000-1397421449_thumb.jpg

Despite those features, she ultimately married a carpenter called Toby Shipton and in her later years was known as “Old Mother Shipton”. With varying degrees of reliability and contemporary documentation, the legend has grown that she had the power of prophecy. Her first book of prophecies was published posthumously in 1641 but was undoubtedly embellished to enrich the legend.

Edited by painshill
  • I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

It’s been a tourist attraction since about 1630 and over the years various objects have been left by famous visitors or donated by celebrities to be petrified. They have a small museum that displays some of them. Here’s John Wayne’s hat:

post-6208-0-84269800-1397421691_thumb.jpg

… And Agatha Christie’s handbag:

post-6208-0-63658700-1397421701_thumb.jpg

… And here’s an Apollo 13 mission cap waiting to be petrified:

post-6208-0-31615900-1397421713_thumb.jpg

… Lobster, anyone?

post-6208-0-19266100-1397421723_thumb.jpg

Until relatively recently, the owners charged a small fee for leaving objects hanging on the rim, which you could then have back after they had petrified. These days they hang up strings of teddy bears, which petrify in around 3-5 months, and then sell them in the gift shop for about $60. Here’s some of them on their way to being stone bears:

post-6208-0-85893600-1397421733_thumb.jpg

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Haha, you got me on the title although I was skeptical. That is pretty cool. thanks for sharing.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

That's pretty cool.

That Alligator looks real. Is it?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Awesome thanks for putting this on the forum I often wondered how long it takes things to become petrified that way .

That's pretty cool.

That Alligator looks real. Is it?

I don't see an alligator. There's a leg of ham hanging there, which I believe is real. All kinds of other stuff too... some real and some not:

post-6208-0-57626600-1397424666_thumb.jpg

Larger non-porous items are sometimes wrapped in cloth tape to give the tufa something to hang on to. Otherwise, it takes a lot longer.

Roger

I don't see an alligator. There's a leg of ham hanging there, which I believe is real. All kinds of other stuff too... some real and some not:

attachicon.gifMiscellaneous.jpg

Larger non-porous items are sometimes wrapped in cloth tape to give the tufa something to hang on to. Otherwise, it takes a lot longer.

Its in the mossy spring pic on the top right.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Prices have gone up, I got a soft toy of a politically incorrect nature there for £5 twenty years ago. There is another of these in Derbyshire at Matlock Bath where the same thing happens, but without the seer.

Its in the mossy spring pic on the top right.

So it is.... I walked right past that and never noticed! :D

Real I reckon. The Yorkshire rivers are full of them. :o

Roger