Totally Ignorant About Oregon Fossils

Nandomas

After 15 years, finally I will have the chance to visit Redwood N.P. that's just 200 miles away from me :)

After that I am thinking to spend a day or two (why not 3 days ) going up north, on the Oregon Coast, before to back East.

The problem: the only thing I know about Oregon Fossils is the chance to look for them in the city of Fossils.

Is there any good Samaritan on TFF in the mood to share a couple of easy locations (beaches locations are preferred) for two fossil addicted tourists?

I am not asking for the crabs nodules locations (although I'd like to look for them), but I am simple asking for the chance to spend several hours on your beautiful West Coast beaches without getting bored ;) ;) :)

Your truly member

Nandomas

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Fellow collectors:

Nando and Diana are good people with whom I have shared many productive sites over the years with no regrets. Your site info is safe with them, should you be inclined to share it.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

HI Nando-

Not sure I will be able to take time off from work to back to the Ranch when you guys come back through, but call me anyway when you know you will be here. The coast near Newport has fossils, so I'm told.

We visited the Southern part of OR. On the beaches I did find some fossil wood and some rocks that contained bivalves. That was it though. I think the Northern part is supposed to be better.

Some of the fossils we found in Fossil. Mostly metasequoia material. The place has a lot of potential, bur we were allowed to look for fossils just in the debris :(

When I was in OR I wanted to visit that place but it was several hours' drive away. Some neat pieces.

Only allowed to search the debris - That's not a bad rule and a good example for other places... If only the same were allowed at sites like Burgess Shale instead of the fossils in the debris being condemned to disintegrate!

I wanted to go to that town last time I was in OR but same as Rick says - too much driving (and no time)