Eocene White Fish Scale & Others

lissa318

Just received some Florida Eocene matrix from member Sacha today and already finding some more firsts for me! Thanks so much Sacha!!! :) The matrix is colored lighter than any other I have sorted, which I'm guessing may account for the color on this fish scale? I have only found dark ones before... Also wondering if it's gar or something else?

1. My pretty white fish scale :)

post-8801-0-52897500-1398473606_thumb.jpg

post-8801-0-30930000-1398473626_thumb.jpg

Back

post-8801-0-78704700-1398473666_thumb.jpg

Since I'm wondering about this scale, I figured I'd add these as well. Never searched this matrix before. Comments appreciated!

2. Coral maybe?

post-8801-0-82441500-1398473904_thumb.jpg

3. Guessing starfish ossicle?

post-8801-0-75088800-1398473959_thumb.jpg

4. I know these are barnacles but wondering if a more specific ID possible?

post-8801-0-93491500-1398474062_thumb.jpg

post-8801-0-24458300-1398474195_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Can't help with Id's at all, Lissa, but that scale is quite neat!

Looks like a gar scale, to me.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The gar scale is probably modern. Numbers 2 and 3 are pieces of sea urchin spine, probably Cidaris or related sea urchin. Barnacles can be difficult to ID because they can have a lot of variability in morphology within a species.

2 and 3 are sea urchin spines Lissa, with 3 being a fragment by the looks. The starfish ossicles look like little geometric building blocks.

Lissa

I agree with Al Dente that the gar scale is probably modern.

Marco Sr.

Lissa, try bend the scale a little. If it flexes, then it's modern.

It's as hard as a rock! Clicks when tapped with fingernail and no way will it bend! I found one too.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Old bones took the words out of my mouth. I tried bending it and there's no flex... This scale is solid!!! And awesome you found one too Julianna!!!!! And thanks everyone for the ID help. :)

I sure hope I find another like it as I just busted mine into a million bits as I tried to lightly flex it! I would say it is a fossil!

I didn't realize there was such a variety of urchin spines. I found some I knew were, and even a variety in those. Any suggestions for reference material to help me with IDs? I did find a little fish tooth in this matrix yesterday as well but struggled to get a decent pic. Unlike the majority it was black. Can't wait to see what all I find! I didn't even sort that much yet. Here's 2 semi decent pic of the tooth. Doubt it's identifiable.

5.post-8801-0-26522800-1398516368_thumb.jpg

post-8801-0-73648000-1398516395_thumb.jpg

I didn't expect to find vertebra fossils as it is mainly an invert matrix. The gar scale in particular was a wonderful surprise! :)

I sure hope I find another like it as I just busted mine into a million bits as I tried to lightly flex it! I would say it is a fossil!

OHHH NO! I am sorry my friend. I sure hope you find another one as well! :(

Lissa, this is a quick photo of the starfish ossicles so you know what to look for :)

post-13648-0-01883700-1398517095_thumb.jpg

nice fish tooth...you will probably have to settle for calling it a fish tooth! lol

Lissa, this is a quick photo of the starfish ossicles so you know what to look for :)

attachicon.gifossicles.jpg

nice fish tooth...you will probably have to settle for calling it a fish tooth! lol

Yes I figured as much... LOL ;) And thanks! I did finds some of those! Appreciate your help. I can use all the help I can get?! Haha Thanks Julianna. :)

It's as hard as a rock! Clicks when tapped with fingernail and no way will it bend! I found one too.

Old bones took the words out of my mouth. I tried bending it and there's no flex... This scale is solid!!! And awesome you found one too Julianna!!!!! And thanks everyone for the ID help. :)

I'm happy to see pictures of what you're finding in some of that matrix, and glad you're getting some variety. I was very happy with the number of cool small shells and the number of echinoids, but I didn't find any fish material at all. I'll have to look at another batch to fill out my micro tray.

I'll be interested to see if you can get any detail to show in pictures of the sea biscuits.

wow Lissa lovely finds love the gar scale and fish tooth great job !

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Good stuff Lissa. I looked through some of this too and there's almost too many Sand Dollars and Sea biscuits.....it gets a little boring haha (no offense John). Nice scale though!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'm happy to see pictures of what you're finding in some of that matrix, and glad you're getting some variety. I was very happy with the number of cool small shells and the number of echinoids, but I didn't find any fish material at all. I'll have to look at another batch to fill out my micro tray.

I'll be interested to see if you can get any detail to show in pictures of the sea biscuits.

Good stuff Lissa. I looked through some of this too and there's almost too many Sand Dollars and Sea biscuits.....it gets a little boring haha (no offense John). Nice scale though!

Just barely scraping the surface I have found quite a few sand dollars and sea biscuits. They are pretty exciting for me as haven't found any in matrix yet. The good thing about there being so many is that there may end up being a small percentage with better detail? As I find more I'll try taking some pictures. :) Thanks again Sacha! I'm assuming there are more scales to be found since Julianna found one as well. Keep your eyes opened for one as well fossilized6s! :)

wow Lissa lovely finds love the gar scale and fish tooth great job !

Thanks Chris I appreciate it!!! :)

Now you know not to listen to me if I give advice. Really sorry about that!

Now you know not to listen to me if I give advice. Really sorry about that!

lol! That's ok, John. I still have plenty to hunt thru and will try to find another. :)

Gar scales are ganoid scales - that is, very enamel like. I've never seen a modern gar scale that was flexible. The more common cycloid or ctenoid scales are the thin, flexible ones you normally see on modern fish.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Gar scales are ganoid scales - that is, very enamel like. I've never seen a modern gar scale that was flexible. The more common cycloid or ctenoid scales are the thin, flexible ones you normally see on modern fish.

Thank you for looking and commenting Rich! So is it possible to have a white fossilized scale considering the matrix is practically white, or do you believe this to be modern? The bottom looks like rock? Your opinion would be appreciated. :)

It's really hard to tell without examining it myself, but it is not impossible that it could be a fossil.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

This matrix comes from the dredged channel sediment in the gulf of mexico so being salt, I expected fossil since gars are fresh water fish. It is possible that a gar died and was flushed out of the Withlacoochee to wind up in this spoil island sediment (not short distance) but statistically I think it's unlikely.

Like with the shells in the matrix, I don't really think it matters. It's cool and unusual.

It's really hard to tell without examining it myself, but it is not impossible that it could be a fossil.

This matrix comes from the dredged channel sediment in the gulf of mexico so being salt, I expected fossil since gars are fresh water fish. It is possible that a gar died and was flushed out of the Withlacoochee to wind up in this spoil island sediment (not short distance) but statistically I think it's unlikely.

Like with the shells in the matrix, I don't really think it matters. It's cool and unusual.

Thanks for your feedback Rich! Your input is very much appreciated. :) And I sure do like it regardless Sacha! And I have found some very nice complete little shells as well. I will be posting more pics before too long... :) Edited by lissa318