Mcculloch County Texas--Winchell Limestone

mikecable

McCulloch County is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the U.S. state of Texas. At the 2010 census, its population was 8,283.[1] Its county seat is Brady.[2] The county is named for Benjamin McCulloch, a famousTexas Ranger and Confederate general. The geographical center of Texas lies within the county.--wikipedia.com

At least according to Steve Earle Ben McCulloch was quite the SOB.

Fusulinidae of the Winchell Formation, Texas

" The Winchell Formation is the thickest and best exposed limestone unit in the Canyon Group and separates the Wolf Mountain Shale from the Placid Shale in the Canyon type area. The Canyon type area is included in the southernmost portion of the index map of Palo Pinto, Stephens and Wise counties. Northeastward of the Brazos River the Winchell Limestone grades laterally into shale and sandstone, leaving the overlying Placid Shale resting directly on the underlying Wolf Mountain Shale.

" It was first mapped as the Graford limestones by Plummer (1919), and subsequently called Adams Branch by Plummer & Moore (1921), because of its apparent equivalency with the Colorado River Adams Branch. The unit was later named Merriman by Plummer & Hornberger (1935). It was correlated into the Brazos River valley by Cheney (1910), and by Feray & Jenkins (1954). Its formational status was formally given by Eargle (1960), a use followed by Laury (1962). "

" Chico Ridge Bioclastic Bank.-- Northeast of the Jack County clastic facies, on the western and eastern shores of Lake Bridgeport in Wise County, is a limestone body informally referred to as the Chico Ridge Bioclastic Bank but formally called the "Winchell Limestone". A maximum thickness of 300 feet has been reported in Wise and Montague counties (Scott & Armstrong, 1932). "--northtexasfossils.com

Joined the DPS on the second day of a two day hunt they made in my neck of the woods. Dr. Allen Neece led this part of the field trip. It was a beautiful day.

post-7463-0-85655600-1398634667_thumb.jpgpost-7463-0-94134500-1398634824_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good place to find coral and rattlesnakes.

Ryan--Mostly bryozoans and crinoid segments. Rattlesnakes are easy. I bet if I'd had a little bit of gas in a pump sprayer I could have come home with a dozen or more. I was surprised I didn't run into Texas Brown scorpions.

I know you have the Waco Pit down as your next site, but if you decide to head this way I'll lead you or give directions to this site, Lake Brownwood Spillway, Wilson's Clay pit, and one or two more.

I'll let you know Mike. My luck it will probably be next month some time at the earliest. But I'll let you know in advance. Thanks.

I like the Dakota verbena as well as the Pennsylvanian goods.

Context is critical.