Insane Sedimentology!

Tennessees Pride

Normally i am a bit more reserved and professional when describing things here on the Forum, this will be that instance i made the exception. When i said "Insane"..... i mean wicked insane! I'm always on the look out for signs of "the big one" (destruction layers that is). On this thread, i'm gonna be loading pics of a certain Late Cretaceous layer that is probably no more than a couple feet in thickness, but seems in my mind to be sure signs of death and destruction.....full on mayhem! Because i'm still studying this laye to figure out what exactly brought it on, i'm not gonna be saying much about where exactly it is placed in the geological record....if there's some melt-glass, volcanic bombs to be found there, i'd like to be the first to show em to the world. What i'm about to post is a layer of hard sandstone......but this sandstone contains strange things in it! Oh they're strange alright....rip-up clasts made from clay are interbeded in this sandstone layer! Big ones, little ones, the tiny, the med-sized......clasts,clasts, clasts!!!!! Here a clast, there a clast.....rip-up clasts out the wazoo! The largest clast i've so far noted in this sandstone has to weigh nothing under 60 pounds!!!!!.....but it seems to be an exceptional one, most reach no where near this massive size......guess what else is in that hard sand stone in spots???? Lignite!!!!!.....insane sedimentology! :D unless i am a complete fool, i think even a novice can see what has happened here. So in the photos i will be posting, you will be looking @ sandstone that contains clay clasts and lignite wood!...have only found on bone frag in the sandstone, an it was pretty crazy looking too...busted to pieces. So set back and enjoy this crazy sedimentology.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

The largest clasts i've so far found.

post-14571-0-74496300-1398683900_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Close-up of large clast showing it cemented in the sandstone matrix.

post-14571-0-97725500-1398684379_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

The sandstone is thinner in spots and thicker in spots....here you can see a view of rip-up clasts and also lignite in the matrix.

post-14571-0-59462800-1398684616_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-09325400-1398684714_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

More clasts...gonna take a short break, then return and bomb this thread out w/ pics...

post-14571-0-93645600-1398685108_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-90607800-1398685199_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I tried to upload this file but it is too large. Lots of great information on the upper Mississippi embayment during the Campanian.

The paper is titled

Biostratigraphy, Paleogeography, and Paleoenvironments Of The Upper Cretaceous (Campanian) Northern Mississippi Embayment

by: Sandy M. Ebersole

Pretty fascinating read considering it's in your back yard so to speak.

I found it by googling "Mississippi embayment clastic Tennessee"

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Interesting stuff. I think it can be called a breccia, which would narrow down the possible causes.

Context is critical.

Interesting stuff. I think it can be called a breccia, which would narrow down the possible causes.

Sir, i think you're right about that also, a ferrocrete siliclast breccia i guess....i'm posting some unusual material which has also originated out of this layer, in your opinion, how do they fit into the formula? This material isn't found everywhere in the layer, but sparsely it occurs here and there...it appears to me that this material was deposited in the same layer and at it's top, and was hot when it hit the water, the sides i'm showing here have a good smooth surface area, the bottom sides seem to have the ferrocrete fused to it's outside surface....i was thinking maybe something similar to pillow lava or something, but, am not sure....was thinking it "fell" in to the deposited layer.

post-14571-0-42278000-1398735379_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-64012700-1398735501_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-86362900-1398735766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

I haven't actually saw this stuff insitu in the layer yet, so right now, i'm really just speculating about it's placement @ the top of the layer....i perhaps need to retract that statement, but the material absolutely eroded from the breccia layer. And i am relatively sure it aquired the shapes you now see after contacting the water.....i cant say for sure presently though that the shiny side wasn't also covered in ferrocrete that weathered away after the specimen eroded from the layer....just kinda have a feeling it didn't. Pic 2 is of one of the "bottoms" (i presume) of a specimen....you can still clearly see the clasts and ferrocrete stuck to it. That bottom surface looks to me to be formed slightly different...more rough, less shiny, ect. Here and there the material also has cavities.

post-14571-0-58044400-1398736970_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-81802000-1398737069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

Pic 1: another bottom surface view. Pic 2: what appear to be cavities in the specimens.

post-14571-0-88615600-1398738402_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-38213400-1398738483_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I tried to upload this file but it is too large. Lots of great information on the upper Mississippi embayment during the Campanian.

The paper is titled

Biostratigraphy, Paleogeography, and Paleoenvironments Of The Upper Cretaceous (Campanian) Northern Mississippi Embayment

by: Sandy M. Ebersole

Pretty fascinating read considering it's in your back yard so to speak.

I found it by googling "Mississippi embayment clastic Tennessee"

Hey squali, i sure already have that paper, and it's a real keeper too! Thanks for your suggestion of it though. :)

--- Joshua